Tyler Grund - Watchtower Question

Rockguitarzan

Experienced
Heres a noob question for you.

I downloaded your awesome Watchtower preset. But when I tried to download the IR it set me to a commercial site. Do I need to purchase it in order to replicate your tone on my Axe FX XL FW 15.02?

View attachment 22199

hi,

You should mess around with it in fw15.02. A lot has changed since FW 11. The amps are easier to dial in and we have Ultrares cabs now. You can probably get pretty close with just a 65 bassman and the 4x10 bassman cab. Actually factory preset 2 might be that, just need a few tweaks on the gain and BMT.

I was actually playing around with Tyler's fantastic Hendrix inspired presets last night.

I recommend downloading his JBL IR as it's quite "raspy" and suits the "Lenny/Jam" (?) preset nicely. As far as the the Watchtower preset, I actually found that some of the "1x12 xxxxx MIX" IRs in FW15 worked quite nicely with it. I hope this helps a bit.....

Thanks guys. It will be a good opportunity for me to learn more about creating and editing presets.

UPDATE - I have no idea how these presets sounds originally, so its difficult to tweek them with no reference. And to be honest, Id rather be playing them rather then tweeking them. I decided my time was better spent learning other things about the Axe FX and gave up on this venture.

Last edited:
It is a necessity really. Each new major firmware release changes the sound and/or levels of your patches. You'll end up re-tweaking them many times.

It is a necessity really. Each new major firmware release changes the sound and/or levels of your patches. You'll end up re-tweaking them many times.

Hmm... I can appreciate making things better.

But having to retweek "many times" ( due to FW changes) a patch I have initially perfected and used in performance or tracking, does not sound like a good thing to me. Sounds kind of frustrating to be truthful.

It's a quandary to be sure... improvements and feature additions frequently affect the modeling abstractions, and as a result patches change their sounds. It's an unfortunate fact of life with the AFII. The flips side argument is that you can always elect not to upgrade to a new firmware if you are happy where you are.

I too was not a fan of the impact, but in general the payoff is greater than the risk. You can almost always tweak your presets to accommodate the new firmware. I guess most of us have just adopted the philosophy that the upgrades are worth the pain.

I was surpised at how easy the hendrix AATW tone was to dial in. The factory 65 bassman is almost there, all you really need is a strat. I thought it was so close already.

Back
Top Bottom