Ty Tabor lead tone "Flies and Blue Skies"

wire_twerp

Inspired
I'm looking for some help from the tone hounds here (please).

I'm trying to work out how Ty Tabor gets the amazing lead tone on this particular song from "Dogman" (the dual rec era).

It sounds to me like there is some kind of modulation on the tone - is it flanger / comb filtering, doubling, studio magic or something else?

I've searched everywhere here and on Google but can't really get an answer.

Opinions appreciated!

He used an Alesis Midiverb for chorus. That album is his Zion guitar with Joe Barden pickups into the Mesa rig. I thought it was a Tremoverb but not sure. He also ran that guitar into the preamp from the Strat Elite mounted in an external box. That’s what gives it that Brian May sort of sound which is a big part of it. Even more so than any effects he has on it.

Brian May's tone is certainly something I hear in Ty's.

There are a lot of mids too.

It does sound more like a phase "effect" rather than chorus but he certainly was a fan of chorus especially on the pre-Dogman era albums.

Thanks!

Getting good results with the static flanger tip. Just need to tune the manual control.

I'm only after an approximation of the tone.

Another thing he like to use a lot of is early reflections! The best over the top example I can think of is in the song "looking for love" at the back half of the solo you can really hear it get wet.

Back
Top Bottom