Two questions about user cabs

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
1-) I have an unidentified user cab in user 5... and it sounds really good. I did a search on my PC and found only one possible contender called "U5_2x12 off axis bright 512.syx" (I usually add a prefix to indicate what slot it will go to after editing the 7th byte). The question is: now that the Axe has moved to 1024 IRs, is it possible that this 512 IR is working properly in my Ultra?

2-) Along the same lines, when you upload a user cab into a user slot on your Axe, how do you select properly between "Mono Hires", "Mono Lores" and "Stereo"? (actually, strike the latter, because this one is obvious")... but I mean, are you supposed to keep track whether a user IR is 512 or 1024 and then choose lores or hires depending on that? Or will a 512 IR work equally in lores or hires mode?

1) Yes you can open it with my utility it will convert it to 1024 (it'll just append 0's).

2) No you don't need to keep track. The axe-fx will assume the file has 1024 samples (which it will after you convert it with my utility), but since you know it has an effective 512 samples, you should probably just use it in Mono low res to save cpu.

Dpoirier said:
1-) I have an unidentified user cab in user 5... and it sounds really good. I did a search on my PC and found only one possible contender called "U5_2x12 off axis bright 512.syx"
It's the off axis Legend 2x12 one that I made, with filtering to brighten the sound.

The question is: now that the Axe has moved to 1024 IRs, is it possible that this 512 IR is working properly in my Ultra?
I'll upload a 1024 version to Axechange in the next few minutes.

Edit: it's there now.

Thanks Jay, anxious to get that going.

By the way, a follow-up question: I was sure the user-slot number in the .syx file was 0-based (i.e. value of 00 meant user 1, value of 01 meant user 2, and so on...). However, I just used SendSX to transfer an IR with the 7th byte set to 05, thinking it would store it in user 6 but I heard no difference at all... puzzled, I selected user 5 as my cab, and there it was. So a value of 05 stores in user 5... that's contrary to what the wiki says...

Did this change at some point? No wonder all my user cabs are confusing me.

Thanks.
Daniel

Dpoirier said:
Thanks Jay, anxious to get that going.

By the way, a follow-up question: I was sure the user-slot number in the .syx file was 0-based (i.e. value of 00 meant user 1, value of 01 meant user 2, and so on...). However, I just used SendSX to transfer an IR with the 7th byte set to 05, thinking it would store it in user 6 but I heard no difference at all... puzzled, I selected user 5 as my cab, and there it was. So a value of 05 stores in user 5... that's contrary to what the wiki says...

Did this change at some point? No wonder all my user cabs are confusing me.

Thanks.
Daniel

Yeah it changed. Now you have to select the slot you want it at on the axe-fx cab 1. Then send it.

Thanks AlbertA, I thought I was losing my mind. My Ultra manual doesn't mention that detail, and the wiki states the "old way" (0-based).

Back
Top Bottom