TWO new Cab Packs!

Sorry for contributing to thread drift, but i do feel that Kevin at OH should probably charge more. I always felt he gave away too much work for too little money.

Shhhh. We've already said too much. :nightmare:

+1. I've said this to Kevin. :)

Well, apparently it didn't have any effect on him.

Even if Kevin decided to up the prices, he still has a couple of things going for his business that Fractal does not (at least IMHO).

1) Return customer discounts

2) Non-proprietary IR files in the form of WAV.

Take this as a "suggestion box" sort of post. I'd love to own more Fractal Cab Packs, but when it comes down to meeting my (the customer's) needs, it's OwnHammer for me.

I know that sometimes constructive criticism is met with opposition around here, but I'm willing to put my nuts out there if it means better results for Axe-Fx owners.

30$ for access to Suhr cabs?
That's highway robbery on MY end.
Don't forget to factor in Clark's microphones, studio expertise, and time.

Toooootally worth the money.

I also appreciate the fact that Clark hasn't come out and said that he doesn't even use his IR's because he doesn't think they're good enough...like some other IR maker has.
He actually stands behind his own product.
But that's none of my business...

If another individual with same credentials was offering it for $20, WITH added benefits...who would you buy from?

You've got the same tactic as ML. I'm talking competitive pricing, not comparative.

Well, apparently it didn't have any effect on him.

Is that so?

If another individual with same credentials was offering it for $20, WITH added benefits...who would you buy from?

You've got the same tactic as ML. I'm talking competitive pricing, not comparative.

Fractal Audio and ML Sound Lab are not creating IRs to compete with other IRs or IR manufacturers. We are creating the best IRs we can possible make so that the Axe-Fx can live up to it's full potential. It's Cliff's princinple and ML Sound Lab also swears by it: We're not trying to create the cheapest product out there. We're creating the highest quality product we can make.

I'm sorry to hear that the pack is too expensive for you Lionheart.

I also appreciate the fact that Clark hasn't come out and said that he doesn't even use his IR's because he doesn't think they're good enough...like some other IR maker has.
He actually stands behind his own product.
But that's none of my business...

Thanks for the nice words "The Last Romantic". :)

Fractal Audio and ML Sound Lab are not creating IRs to compete with other IRs or IR manufacturers. We are creating the best IRs we can possible make so that the Axe-Fx can live up to it's full potential. It's Cliff's princinple and ML Sound Lab also swears by it: We're not trying to create the cheapest product out there. We're creating the highest quality product we can make.

I'm sorry to hear that the pack is too expensive for you Lionheart.

Is this how you treat forum members and Axe-Fx owners, with passive aggressive bull crap?

Get yourself out of "butt-hurt" mode and act professional.

I never once questioned the quality of your work. In fact, if you go back and read my comments, I commend you guys on y'all's work.

I know you back from Andy Sneap's forum days and the early days here on Fractal. You may have changed your name and avatar, but a leopard can't change it's spots. You're still a jerk.

You've lost my respect I had for you and you've lost my business, as well.

I'm more then happy to pay the prices that Fractal has marked their cab packs at. Why? Because, just like most things, you get what you pay for. Every time I've gone with IRs that are more "competitively" priced, I find myself going back to the Fractal cab packs. To my ears, the quality of Mikko's IRs is that much better.

Keep up the great work bud!

both companies make quality products, no reason to start choosing sides like 8 year olds on a playground. I've tried fractal/ML IR's that were awesome and that were awful (for my needs), I've tried IR's from other makes that were awesome and terrible. We should just be glad we have so many quality options to choose from....

Hell, I'm looking forward to buy the TAF Platinum, the new OH packs, and the FAS and ML packs I don't have yet. Why? I already have too many, but finding those "just right" IRs makes a huge difference. The right IR often means a lot less tweaking.

no reason to start choosing sides like 8 year olds on a playground....

Uh oh! One of the new guys joined in and gave his opinion/preference on something. Quick, shame him into not doing it again![emoji6]

Just as you stated that some of ML's cab packs didn't work for "your" needs, I stated the same about IR's I've tried from other producers. To each their own. And Yes, we should be so lucky to have so many options to choose from.

Cheers

Lionheart: I respect you man, but I think you're going too far in instigating trouble with Mikko.
I mean, why instigate trouble?
It's not worth your time, and it's not worth Mikko's time.
Christ, I hope I'm spelling his name right XD

You've got good ears from what I gather, and so does he.
We've all got prodigious tempers, so there's no use inflaming them.

I think something somewhere got misinterpreted, and following the literary critic Harold Bloom I'd say there's nothing wrong with that.
...but acting upon it to instigate conflict doesn't help us.
If you want to lose Mikko's business, it's just your luck that tomorrow he'll release the greatest cab pack ever bar none XD right?
It's in your best interest to reserve judgement and see what he comes up with next.
He's convinced me with his dedication (and I have OBSCENELY high standards).
Maybe he'll convince you too.

If you don't like his personality, I would say: fair enough. We can't all get along.
But as bodybuilder CT Fletcher would say, "you can't argue with results."
And Mr. Clark Kent has unquestionably achieved them.

Do what benefits you best.
In the meantime, I will be stuck on the 5153 amp model, riffing upon the same stale riffs in the key of A minor, infatuated with how good my guitars sound because of the Axe Fx.
It's been a few years now since I've done anything even remotely productive XD

Yes, the Core Set is all Mic+DI.

The Extras were done before Mic+DI was invented by Cliff, but they sound great (that's the Bludo 1X12 in the factory cabs now, Cliff liked it so much).

Some Background on Buddy's Boutique Cab Pack

===================================

CAB PACK 17

Cab Pack 17: Buddy’s Boutique Cabs contains over 275 unique IRs of six highly coveted boutique guitar speaker-cabinet combinations. The pack includes 172 “Core” individual mic captures, plus an “Extras” folder with over 100 additional IRs, plus 39 ready-made mixes.

• 1x12 Shiver - Based on a Bogner™ Shiva closed-back dual port cab, loaded with a Celestion Classic Lead 80.
  • Bludo 1x12 - Based on a Bludotone™ closed-back ported cab (similar to a Dumble™ cab used by the great Larry Carlton) with a WGS Blackhawk AlNiCo speaker.
  • Bludo 2x12 H65 - Based on a Bludotone™ open “Oval Back” cab, loaded with Celestion G12-65H heritage speakers (similar to a Dumble™ cab used by the great Robben Ford).
  • Bludotone 2x12 ASW - Based on a Bludotone™ open “Oval Back” cab, loaded with a pair of special Bludotone™-designed KTS-style Austin Speaker Works speakers.
  • 2x12 Two Stone - Based on a Two Rock™ 2x12 open “Oval Back” cab with Eminence K&M 65-16 speakers.
  • 4x12 Rumble - Based on Cliff Chase’s personal Dumble™ 4X12 closed back cab with EVL-12/EV-S speakers in an X-pattern.

Hi everyone. Some further detail about Buddy’s Boutique Cab Pack.

Wanted to fill a missing niche in the Cab IR world, to use with various “boutique” amplifiers already modeled in the AXE FX. I believe in the democratization of great tone! :)

Four of the captured speaker cabs are mine — the three Bludotone cabs (based on Dumble design) and the Bogner 1x12 Shiva cab. The Two Rock Cab was lent to me by Jonas Carnemark of KONSTMusic, and the 4x12 Cab is Cliff’ Chase’s real Dumble cab, which the Fractal team shot separately and Cliff graciously agreed to include with the other boutique cabs.

Everything (except Cliff's Dumble cabinet) was done at CUE Recording studios, in the Red Room, in Falls Church Virginia (shout out to Blaine Misner and Javon Grant who were fantastic to work with).

CORE SET AND EXTRAS

What's the difference is between the “Core” and the “Extras” sessions? Good question. There were two different IR capture sessions.

The first was December 2014 — these are the “Extra IRs.” This was before Cliff created out the DI-Mic technique. The session used a Neve 1073 mic preamp for all IR captures. In that session we also used a U47FET mic, and a vintage M160. Also shot a bonus IR of a beautiful vintage RCA770 mic.

Only my own four cabs were shot in December session. I did some sample mixes (included in Extras). Cliff liked one Bludo 1x12 mix so much he made it factory cab in a firmware upgrade. Also, in this first session, the 2x12 Bludos were mainly mic’d on the TOP speaker (unless indicated bottom). So you will notice those IRs are brighter by design than the ones in the Core Set.

After Cliff released his DI+MIC IR Capture technique, we went back in the studio to shoot even more IRs, using that new technique. These are the “Core Files” folder, from our second session in May.

This time we added the Two Rock Cab to the original four. We also shot the bottom of the Bludotone 2x12 speakers as default, for contrast to initial captures (you get top and bottom with both!). We didn’t use the 47FET this time, and the M160 was a modern one loaned by Fractal. Finally, for the second session, we used API mic preamps, except for a few mic/cab captures where we also used the 1073 Neve (those are indicated with an “-N” after the IR name).

For the “Core Set” folder, we did four shots per mic, using our ears, GENERALLY with A being on or close to the Cap, B being cap-edge area with a second B (angled mic) option, and D being on the cone. The off-axis IRs will sound thinner than the others generally, but useful in mixing IRs with Cab Lab to add an edge to IR sound.

Check out the IRs individually, starting with Core Set, but also the Extras folder — but do not neglect the power of Cab Lab 3 to mix together IRs (and rooms!) to really dial in all kinds of tone nuances — all the raw tools are here to get there.

TIPS AND TRICKS

Remember, Eddie Kramer in articles has said he got the Hendrix recorded guitar sound was a general starting formula: U87 room mic (10-15 feet away) at 0db, M160 mic at 0 db (probably at cap or cap edge), MD421 at -3db (probably at cone or cap edge, also try off-axis), and a Shure SM57 at -10db (at cap edge or cone, also try tilt). You can get some pretty great tones by experimenting by using your ears, not your eyes, to guide you.

We intentionally captured all these IRs flat, with no added EQ or boost - there is no "sweetener" recipe here.

There are two tricks I personally use that can help when using any IRs, including these, in certain instances.

1) You can raise the overall cab block volume by 1db, just gives it a little extra “umph” to my ears, if the IR seems less in volume than other IRs you use.

2) Ported cabs have more bass content than oval-back cabs. If you want more bass from an oval-back cab, just use the “Null” microphone in the Cab block and start it a 2.0 and dial in to taste, usually about 2.5 does the trick, depending on low versus high volume playing.

This was very fun project. I want to thank Cliff and Matt Picone (M@ttman!) for the help and allowing me to do this with Fractal Audio.

Last edited:
Big fan of your work as always,Mikko
interested in the new cab pack tho, will there be more showcase?
to my ears these irs have a tight and woody character,and a crunch to it :0

I'm more then happy to pay the prices that Fractal has marked their cab packs at. Why? Because, just like most things, you get what you pay for. Every time I've gone with IRs that are more "competitively" priced, I find myself going back to the Fractal cab packs. To my ears, the quality of Mikko's IRs is that much better.

Keep up the great work bud!

Mikko has great ears & his IR's are awesome......easily worth the $!!!

both companies make quality products, no reason to start choosing sides like 8 year olds on a playground. I've tried fractal/ML IR's that were awesome and that were awful (for my needs), I've tried IR's from other makes that were awesome and terrible. We should just be glad we have so many quality options to choose from....

Hell, I'm looking forward to buy the TAF Platinum, the new OH packs, and the FAS and ML packs I don't have yet. Why? I already have too many, but finding those "just right" IRs makes a huge difference. The right IR often means a lot less tweaking.

Thanks for all the nice words guys. Here's an audio sample made with this Suhr pack:

And if you REALLY want to hear how it sounds here's a guitar only clip:

If I would have to describe the kind of player who really would enjoy this pack then Andy Timmons comes to mind. Pete Thorn for "Suhr". ;)

I usually go for the huge guitar sounds with the 4x12 cabs. Obviously that's not the main focus for this pack. It's all about giving you that specific articulate character of these speakers.

The Suhr cabs themselves were very good. F.ex. you can remove the grill from the cab which means that I get even closer to the speakers so some IR captures are extremely close mic'ed and some are shot with the grill/cloth on and are more normal.

If you're all about brootalz metalz this is maybe not the most common choice for you. If you're a blues, rock, jazz, rock'n'roll type player then this might be exactly what you've been waiting for. :)

Back
Top Bottom