Two FBT 12ma delivered 1/2 hour ago.

I was scheduled to recieve mine in the AUG batch. I just got a email that is shipped already! :shock:

GuitarDojo said:
Springtree
Got the FBT cover too!! :D
Would you mind describing that cover, and giving your personal impressions? Nobody at Springtree was able to accurately describe the FBT cover (they couldn't even tell me if it was a full wraparound/closing cover, or just a slip cover that protects only 5 sides out of 6 and cannot really be used for transporting the 12mA).

As an aside, I've been exchanging info back and forth with some folks at Tuki Covers, and they now have the templates to make full-closure covers (two versions: one zipped-up and one with Velcro closure). They will have these in 3 to 4 weeks, I think.

Dpoirier said:
GuitarDojo said:
Springtree
Got the FBT cover too!! :D
Would you mind describing that cover, and giving your personal impressions? Nobody at Springtree was able to accurately describe the FBT cover (they couldn't even tell me if it was a full wraparound/closing cover, or just a slip cover that protects only 5 sides out of 6 and cannot really be used for transporting the 12mA).

As an aside, I've been exchanging info back and forth with some folks at Tuki Covers, and they now have the templates to make full-closure covers (two versions: one zipped-up and one with Velcro closure). They will have these in 3 to 4 weeks, I think.
I'll put it on youtube when it gets here.

Me Too... Just got the email yesterday my 12ma is shipping. Looking forward to it. May be some gear for sale if I really like it.

TonyGring said:
Me Too... Just got the email yesterday my 12ma is shipping. Looking forward to it. May be some gear for sale if I really like it.
Got the UPS tracking number.... should be here in the morning! :mrgreen:

GuitarDojo said:
TonyGring said:
Got the UPS tracking number.... should be here in the morning! :mrgreen:
Slow down there...first things first... :lol:

Inside joke for anyone who thinks I've lost it

MKeditor said:
tonecrazy said:
No sleep for me tonight.

What have been using up until now? How are you liking the FBT?

I have been using a QSC 122i.

I love the FBTs. All the difference in the world.

I had to global eq the crap out of the qsc to get it where I wanted it, and still there was still something harsh about it. I believe it was designed to reproduce vocals and because of that the sibilance eq zone of the human voice was exaggerated for clarity. I had to cut the 6k at least 10db on the qsc. I got the qsc sounding pretty good but the bass was always too much. No matter what I did it was always very very big in the bass, not nice and compressed feel you would expect from a guitar amp. (Yes I did flip the low cut switch in the back, global eq, inserted eqs).

It seems the FBTs are much flatter. I don't have anyway to test that I am just giving my opinion. I re global eq it and only had to cut a little from the 6k but no where near the dramatic changed required to make the qsc work. As said before from other members the FBT sounds way more open. The lows have the compressed feel you would expect. Not boomy at all like the qsc. The highs are clear without being harsh. Because of that I believe it sounds more like a real amp.

Some interesting things that I can't explain. I am playing the fbt's as loud if not louder that the qsc, but the qsc even at a quiter volume would be very hard to control its feedback. The fbt will feedback like you expect but not the screaming nasty I was fighting from the qsc. Once again something in the qsc frequencies that is not present in the fbt (thank God).

It is a pretty dramatic difference, between the 2. I really think that it could easily be the difference between someone ditching an axe with a qsc or keeping the axe with the fbt.

I am not trying to bad mouth the qsc either. I used it for a year and put it up against many amps, however it took a lot of work and patience and some "getting used to the way it sounded". The fbt will be way less of a change in sound shock to a player comming from traditional tube amps.

Thanks for the review. My FBT's are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. I look forward to comparing them to my QSC's. I will say you have articulated a few of the challenges that the QSC's do have. I have a feeling that I will be pleased with the new set.

Well, I really dig my passive FBT 12m. moreso even than the RH powered monitor I also have, which is no slouchy piece of gear. The RH has some kind of strident top end or something that the FBT seems to be missing. It's subtle, though.

Soon, the RH will be going on craigslist, and I'll probably pick up another 12m to run in stereo if I want to.

Has anyone tried the 8ma and 12ma side-by-side? Is the 8ma passable? I was rather hoping to cut down on the weight I'm carrying going to an Axe-Fx.

iaresee said:
Has anyone tried the 8ma and 12ma side-by-side? Is the 8ma passable? I was rather hoping to cut down on the weight I'm carrying going to an Axe-Fx.
Scott Peterson has written some amazing reviews of the 8mA, and is expecting a 12mA soon (I'm sure he'll then share his opinion on how the two compare)

Back
Top Bottom