Two Axe FX’s are better than one!

wakemusic

Good day everyone,

I have used an Axe Fx for a long time and have always had two (used one as a back-up). I always wanted to use more amps and have gapless switching. So I connected my two units together with the digital out on the first Axe to the digital in of the second Axe Fx. I put two amp blocks last in the chain on the first Axe Fx and two amp blocks first in the chain on the second Axe Fx. This puts four amp blocks together in the chain. So now my back up is now being used instead of just sitting in standby. I have 4 amp sounds with absolutely no gaps in sound when switching and only convert a/d to d/a one time. Just a suggestion for players that may have two units.

Good day everyone,

I have used an Axe Fx for a long time and have always had two (used one as a back-up). I always wanted to use more amps and have gapless switching. So I connected my two units together with the digital out on the first Axe to the digital in of the second Axe Fx. I put two amp blocks last in the chain on the first Axe Fx and two amp blocks first in the chain on the second Axe Fx. This puts four amp blocks together in the chain. So now my back up is now being used instead of just sitting in standby. I have 4 amp sounds with absolutely no gaps in sound when switching and only convert a/d to d/a one time. Just a suggestion for players that may have two units.

Very cool! But if you haven't tried it already, I'd revisit Amp Channel switching in FW 22.00. It's as fast as you could ever need, I think. At this point you can totally have eight functionally gapless amps in a single preset in the Axe-FX III. This latest increase in the speed of channel switching just happened, so I don't know how many people have really explored it. Plus, Drive Channel switching is even faster. If you went with your backup too, you could have sixteen gapless models in a preset...just sayin'. :)

Very cool! But if you haven't tried it already, I'd revisit Amp Channel switching in FW 22.00. It's as fast as you could ever need, I think. At this point you can totally have eight functionally gapless amps in a single preset in the Axe-FX III. This latest increase in the speed of channel switching just happened, so I don't know how many people have really explored it. Plus, Drive Channel switching is even faster. If you went with your backup too, you could have sixteen gapless models in a preset...just sayin'. :)
I have tried and it is not gapless to my ears.

There’s no chance two should go down (knock on wood) so I will always have one to fall back on if one goes down. I have owned them for awhile and have no worries.

I have tried and it is not gapless to my ears.

Totally understand. They're not actually completely gapless, but for my purposes they're functionally gapless. Like, the very very tiny amount that's there wouldn't ever matter in a real world situation that would use, even in the middle of a solo or something. But you've got to go with what you need for your playing.

Back
Top Bottom