Two 412 cabs stacked or side by side?

Ben Randolph

Power User
Hey all,

Totally minor question, but I have a Friedman BE100 with matching cab and an EVH 5150 III with matching cab (both are 412s).

Great cabs, but lately I've been having the idea of running the Friedman as a full stack, using the EVH and Friedman 412's together. I don't gig out and this is strictly studio, but I've been running the cabs side by side and loving the big, wide tone.

Any of you guys have opinions of the tonal differences between stacking the cabs on top of each other versus side by side? I'm going to keep them side by side, but just curious.

I’m assuming your mic’ing the cabs so it likely doesn’t matter much. I’d do stacked just to save floor space.

Both cabs on the floor might give more low end. A rectangular array like two 4x12 cabs make will change the dispersion pattern - two side by side reduces dispersion in the horizontal and increased vertical dispersion - and when stacked it reduces vertical dispersion and increases horizontal dispersion. So my guess is that if you want dispersion to left and right go stacked, but if you want more low end and vertical dispersion go side by side.

Oh! I'm not cranking them up I promise! Just using them together! Yes, I know they're totally unnecessary for my purposes!

Side by side. If possible even in different corners of the room, that's how last time I ran a couple of 4x12 cabs. Because stereo delays sound all the sweeter that way.

Awesome.

The Friedman cab has a refined vintage Marshall sound. The EVH cab has a darker tone reminiscent of modern down tuned metal. They seem to blend well.

When I was touring I used double Ampeg V-4’s (2 heads/4cabs). My favorite sound was single head and 2 cabs side by side. Stacking them just sounds different.

Side by side helps keeps your ears out of the 'beam' if you like to wind things up a bit in volume levels too

I definitely prefer side by side. I like the feel of it rumbling under my feet. Also, I like the stereo imaging when using stereo effects and.... like others have mentioned the high end beam isn’t ripping your head off!

Side by side....or at my place I put one on each side of the drum kit. WIDE and HUGE.
Nothing beats cranking up a pair of 4x12 cabs every once in a while!
Monster guitar = Rock N Roll

Back
Top Bottom