Twin block parameter

Do you like Twin block parameter concept?

• Total voters

Smilzo

Fractal Fanatic
I know I am a little crazy... sometimes a little bit more of a little bit!

What dou you think about a "twin block" parameter in each block? What's this? :mrgreen:

1) It's a parameter with two values (call it lower/higher)
2) lower: load the saved value for the block when in lower status
3) higher: load the saved value for the block when in higher status.

The result is: each block could have 2 setting in each patch. Make it IA controllable, it is useful for:

- amp, it could serve as rythm/lead, or Clean/crunch.
- reverb, two reverb on a single CC.
- delay, setting one as subtle ambient delay, the other as rythm "edge-sque".
And so on.

While for some of the things it is possible to achieve currently (e.g. different drive settings) for some other you can't achieve it (e.g. change the amp type). So yes, this would open up the possibilities a bit further. Technical problem is I guess to get the transition right, so there would be probably a similar pause while changing than with a patch change.

There are lots of tech consideration... let Cliff takes care of them :lol:

I wish to know how many useful could it be.

I think the Axefx as a pedalboard with an amp/cab. I switch fewer times I can between preset, so my mind goes to the best ways for my use. Each preset for me is a different setup. Some of us use this approach, other use a preset for each kind of music, other use different preset for part of different song, ending up in hundred(s) of preset.

I think that this could be useful for parallel chain with a mixer. Instead of bypassing or controlling with CC a level, one could save lower and upper state as needed and controll with one IA the state. A benefit: when a parameter is assigned to a modifier, it is no editable. Twin block allow to change the mix on the fly within edit screen. :idea:

We have at least two blocks of each type of effect already. Is there not a way to drop both in a preset, set the different values, and switch between them via IA?

Or just create presets for the variations you want and send PCs to activate the appropriate preset?

Yes, mworkman, you're right.

There are 2 istances of most blocks. But add block is heavy on CPU, and you have to manage complex routing. If I want to have 2 amps, I have to put 2 block in parallel (or serie) and bypass one while activating the other one. Doable, but takes lot of CPU. Same for reverb.

The workaround to duplicate preset & tweaking the parameters is the way to go now. I have already 4 patches... lets imagine variations for (amp, reverb, delay, cab, drive, filter). I had to remember 4*2^6=256 preset. Each patch have already CC for bypass, mind it. I have to remember on the fly where is my english boosted crunch with 4x12, slapback & surf reverb...

Now I use a mix of both. I add block as needed till 96%CPU. Then Duplicate patches. I have 7 main patches (obviously, some of the combination doesn't make sense). I am a bit nervous at that high CPU occupation. If Cliff add some load to any block, I have to rework all my patches.

Smilzo said:
There are lots of tech consideration... let Cliff takes care of them :lol:
Unfortunately, some of us don't think that way. Personally, I prefer to have some idea of the cost and implications of what I'm asking for so I can determine if my request is the least bit reasonable. If one continually asks for the sky, the moon and stars eventually their requests will fall upon deaf ears. ;)

That said, what you're asking to do would increase the memory footprint for every block that had this functionality. I doubt that storing values requires much memory (probably a few bytes each) but that can add up and in the context of a complete patch it could push it over the CPU limit especially on the Standard.

Just something to bear in mind.

Back
Top Bottom