Tweaks to "open up" sound of GT1000FX and FR212

dschaaf

Experienced
I am using my Axe with A Matrix GT1000FX and a Matrix FR212. I have been a/b'ing with my Vox Ac30cc2x (alnico blues) and have got it surprisingly close using the JY Vox 212 IR.

The only real difference is that it doesn't sound quite as "open". Now I know the Vox has an open back and whereas the FR212 is closed and it is really reproducing the sound of a "mic'd cab" but I am just wondering if there are any little tweaks anyone could suggest to "open" up the sound of the FR212 and give a bit more life/amp in the room feel?

Also wondering if anyone is using an EQ (and at what settings) to remove some of the lower end and tighten things up?

It seems (for the lack of a better description) that with my AC30, the sound is very forward and coming off the front of the speakers whereas with FRFR, I find the sound to be behind the speakers and a very "internal sound". I found this with my CLR as well.

Thanks,
Derek

Last edited:
I have the same setup. I tend to use dynamic depth and dynamic presence often. Im really happy with my FR212. It has plenty of lowend and its very flat. Depending on the IR you're using, the "Dephase" parameter in the cab block does exactly what you're asking. I personally don't use dephase but you may enjoy it.

I am using my Axe with A Matrix GT1000FX and a Matrix FR212. I have been a/b'ing with my Vox Ac30cc2x (alnico blues) and have got it surprisingly close using the JY Vox 212 IR.

The only real difference is that it doesn't sound quite as "open". Now I know the Vox has an open back and whereas the FR212 is closed and it is really reproducing the sound of a "mic'd cab" but I am just wondering if there are any little tweaks anyone could suggest to "open" up the sound of the FR212 and give a bit more life/amp in the room feel?

Thanks,
Derek

I started with the CFR12 and added later the FR212 to it.
I found immediately that the FR212 was some bits darker than the CFR12.
So I think there'a a lot in the character of the cab, not surprised since the box-volume is very different.
The combination did it for me. Sparkling in my face and the oohmp from behind.

I have the same setup. I tend to use dynamic depth and dynamic presence often. Im really happy with my FR212. It has plenty of lowend and its very flat. Depending on the IR you're using, the "Dephase" parameter in the cab block does exactly what you're asking. I personally don't use dephase but you may enjoy it.
Thanks, I will try those

I started with the CFR12 and added later the FR212 to it.
I found immediately that the FR212 was some bits darker than the CFR12.
So I think there'a a lot in the character of the cab, not surprised since the box-volume is very different.
The combination did it for me. Sparkling in my face and the oohmp from behind.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom