Tweaking tones for recording

How do you guys go from a live tone to a recorded tone? Any ways to approach the differences? I use a Xitone Powered wedge and I love it. My studio monitors are M-audio AV40s which aren't bad but far from great. I'll make a great preset on my xitone and it will sound completely different on the AV40s. I'm not expecting them to sound anywhere near as good but how can I have better consistency?

Thanks

Personally I don't try to convert live to recording patches and vice versa. Inherently running through different gear will change how it sounds. I do much more specific EQing and tone shaping for recording so the tones are drastically different anyways. I personally end up with a mesa cab almost every recording patch I make but I use a marshall live. I'd suggest just starting over for recording patches.

BUT if you wanted to use it I'd keep the amp and cab you have have mess around with the EQ and mic choice.

Yeah what adam said up there. I normally use totally different patches for live and recording. Cabs especially sound so much different. Just experiment until you find something you like! Personally the friedman hbe always records great for high gain stuff.

The main thing I do is just remove the cab and power amp sims. Miking changes things a bit but I just adjust live with the board eq if I can - this normally mean taking out a little high end like a low pass around 7k.

I'd say use reamping, record dry and dial in the settings you need in the production process.

Direct wet recordings should only be done for quick and dirty demo tapes.

Other than that, it depends on how you dialed in your live patches. My live patches use heavy low and hi-cutting for making them stand out better in the mix. If you applied such cuts, of course, remove them for your recording. You can always cut the sound again in the production process, but it's hard to add something that isn't there.
Also, for recording, you will usually want to add a little bit more gain on your amps, to compensate for the reduced volume and feedback in a recording environment.

Back
Top Bottom