Tweakin' with v3.0

Big Joe Daddy

Experienced
I've spent the last couple of hours tweaking v3.0 and I haven't even scratched the surface. This rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper.:?

I installed the factory Bank A presets that came bundled with v3.0 to Bank B on my Axe II. That way I could keep my Bank A presets intact and compare the two. Right out of the gate several of my presets just came alive, especially the mid and high gain ones. More depth, more punch, more real.

Then again, I also found a few of my presets lost some of their character. For instance, my JCM 800 presets lost their smooth saturated growl and they began to sound a little harsh and brittle. At first I tried tweaking things with EQ but that didn't get me much.

Next I started tweaking the tube hardness, transformer match, triode hardness, along with drive and master volume and eventually I got a lot closer. I was getting happy.

Then I stumbled across the new amp voicing parameter and I was back in business. That amp voicing is really a slick feature and makes a huge difference. I know it'll see a lot of use in my camp.

I'm looking forward to the new Axe Edit. I learned to find my way around the software a lot easier than the front panel interface of the magic box.

My next challenge is to get some of my clean tones back to their original glory. It seems that my clean presets changed the most. I run the Shiva clean and the USA clean for the most part and both of them ended up a little bit too aggressive. As a result they lost a little of the chime, articulation and fullness. I'm sure it's user error so if anybody out there has some pointers they can toss my way I'd sure appreciate it. I'm running of PRS Custom 22, primarily on the bridge pickup.

I'm looking forward to seeing some new v3 presets being shared.

Overall, I'm stoked about v3.0 and hoping I can get my arms around it before the next release! :D

yeah, there are a lot of my own tweaked presets that get screwed up if I change the amp model to "defaults" but I dont know what to tweak to get them back; I dont know what changes between updated non changed preset amp mods and default (new) amp models.

The way I understand is that once you open and edit your preset by toggling to another amp and then back to the original, it resets all the system parameters relative to the new v3 firmware. Based on all the new parameters, my guess it'd be next to impossible to try and build it back the way it was with your v2 firmware. Have you tried the 'Amp Voicing' parameter. That made a huge change for me. Also, as mentioned, I found that tweaking the tube hardness from 5.0 to 3.5, triode hardness from 5.0 to 3.5 and transformer match from 1.0 to 0.5 got me back in the ballpark. Oh yeah, and some EQ'ing too. Mostly pulling some of the mids back a little and pushing the presence up a click or two. Keep in mind this was only on one or two amps, primarily the JCM 800.

What do I know. I'm driving blind. But sort of like that Mens Warehouse commercial "You're gonna like the way you look." Just replace 'look' with 'sound'. :mrgreen

Interesting what you said about the amp voicing parameter. I thought it was just an "on the fly" EQ kind of thing. I haven't messed with it much yet. You think it does stuff that regular EQ can't or is it just a convenience thing?

Interesting what you said about the amp voicing parameter. I thought it was just an "on the fly" EQ kind of thing. I haven't messed with it much yet. You think it does stuff that regular EQ can't or is it just a convenience thing?
It's gotta be waaay more than just EQ. My guess is the Fractal boys put it together for knuckleheads like me who look for the 'Easy' button. Each setting is a BIG move from the prior one.

thanks for the info JOe, I do find however at lower overall levels the voicings simply seem to be a detriment; vintage warm and rock seem to just muffle the sound. Neutral and Modern still sound best to me. Now at super high levels, I am willing to bet warm, vintage etc. (I cant remember the names) may quickly compensate for the fletcher munson effect (ps if anyone can find fletcher Im still gonna kill him)

The power amp voicings sound like just another tool that needs to be learned

For instance just as in real life taking and Uberschall or Engl and running it into a Vintage power section that has the tubes saturated and is saggy is probably not going to yield pleasant result
Same as selecting a VH4 into an open back 10" cab.

I remember from the notes the Bogner being very very dark so perhaps by applying the bright voicings amps like that would be clearer and easier to use from the get go.
vice versa something like an 800 or SLO that can be rip your head off bright maybe be tamed with a Warm setting to smooth the high treble

much like cab choice I will bet they have a huge effect on model used and gain settings

Thanks Scott.....!!! I have a gig tonight and have to update all my presets.....

Back
Top Bottom