Tweakery

harsh

Inspired
Not sure what category this should go under, so posting it here.

Since I got my very first Axe FX, the biggest problem has been the constant itch to tweak my tone. In rehearsals, I'd say "wow, I think I've finally nailed the perfect tone!". The rest of the guys would nod and agree. 5 mins later, I'd be tweaking again. They hate me for it.

My other guitarist has been a tube purist, but he finally agreed to try out the Axe last month. In 5 minutes, he had dialled in the tone he used to get from his 5150. He was shocked at how easy and "real" it sounded, and sold the 5150 off the next day. He thinks he's now got his dream tone, but he's also started tweaking it every 2 mins. The rest of the guys hate me even more, but I couldn't be happier, haha!

your ears play a part, and humidity etc... all that will make things sound different the next day. I have this problem too, also had it with my triaxis rig way back when.

What I've come to realize is that there are "hardcore tweakers" in this world, (not that I'm saying you are), but... a hardcore tweaker I know wears the paint off car audio/ remote control buttons and knobs... I mean destroys them. It's quite hilarious to think that there are people in the world that can tweak the shit out of anything to the point of wearing out the knobs and buttons... not that car audio offers much to tweak but it keeps him busy. I hate to see him with an Axe in his hands.

Yup been there and do that, got most of it out of my system,but still tweak.I know most of the tones I want to get out of the amps I use. Now its ether more gain ,less bass ,less treble.Unless I try something new and its tweaksville.

It's almost like the Axe-Fx delivered subliminal messages, something like "Tweak me, I can do better!". The knowledge that the unit has a lot of tweakable parameters sits deep in the subconscious, thus creating the permanent "placebo-effect" that the sound is not great enough.

(Off Topic)
That's also why I couldn't convince the other guitarist of my band to get such an Axe-Fx (he'll graduate in psychology, by the way). So, I came up with the idea to build the unit into a fake Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb combo to create the illusion that there weren't more parameters to tweak. I didn't implement the idea, though. :mrgreen

What I've come to realize is that there are "hardcore tweakers" in this world, (not that I'm saying you are), but... a hardcore tweaker I know wears the paint off car audio/ remote control buttons and knobs... I mean destroys them. It's quite hilarious to think that there are people in the world that can tweak the shit out of anything to the point of wearing out the knobs and buttons... not that car audio offers much to tweak but it keeps him busy. I hate to see him with an Axe in his hands.

I'm afraid I might be one of those. But on a serious note...because of the sheer number of options available on the Axe, one tends to think an already excellent tone could be further improved. It's a good and a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. I think its great, the rest of my band thinks its not!

The ALL-IMPORTANT In-CONTEXT Guitar-Sound (Axe-FX II or otherwise!)

I'm afraid I might be one of those. But on a serious note...because of the sheer number of options available on the Axe, one tends to think an already excellent tone could be further improved. It's a good and a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. I think its great, the rest of my band thinks its not!

Dear harsh,

In your defense, the only time you get to hear your Axe-FX II's actual sound while it is blaring with ALL of the other instruments blaring is while your either rehearsing with your band or at a gig/soundcheck. Therefore, it makes plenty of sense for you to want to make those critical "in-context" tweaks to your tone, while you hear your sound in full-band context! That said, in your band's defense, you also must realize that your bandmates' idea of rehearsal might be more about reviewing song-material and getting precious band-repetitions of whatever songs you play (original or cover.) Therefore, you can (or should be able to) sympathize/understand their frustration if it turns out that you (AND now your other guitarist) are spending a bunch of that band-time tweaking your patches/presets. Do you know what I mean?

A more efficient way to achieve acceptable results (AND not frustrate your bandmates too much) might be to record your rehearsals with a decent recorder, and listen to the "in-context" mix at home through various speakers. then you can approximate your necessary Axe-FX II edits/patch-changes based on these recordings and implement them before you rehearse again. THEN when you do rehearse again, if the Axe-FX II still needs a tweak or two, hopefully you'll be a lot closer to your "in-context" sound which is so much more important than the (useless - IMO) sound of someone tweaking away in their bedroom all by themself, before they even go to band-rehearsal! BAND-CONTEXT IS WHERE IT'S AT. IT'S THE ONLY TONE THAT ULTIMATELY MATTERS (IMO)...(unless your a solo-act - LOL!)

Best of luck with this potentially "touchy" subject!

Bill

Dear folks,

I'm Schmalle and I'm a hardcore tweaker.
And I love it.
It took a while to get me where my ears wanted to go.
Now I'm quite fast at nailing the sound I want. And I can get every sound I want with the AxeFx. At least that is my impression.

Today I had a studio session and we edited some songs that we recorded a two years ago. Some of the guitar sounds were so good I couldn't believe that I was the one I listened to. I mean truly professional sounds. I was stunned, because I first thought the other guitarist in our band recorded it after me.

The AxeFx is as good as you can tweak. And it's become quite easy since the Ultra days. Lot's of parameters, but stock settings get you in the ballpark.

Dear harsh,

In your defense, the only time you get to hear your Axe-FX II's actual sound while it is blaring with ALL of the other instruments blaring is while your either rehearsing with your band or at a gig/soundcheck. Therefore, it makes plenty of sense for you to want to make those critical "in-context" tweaks to your tone, while you hear your sound in full-band context! That said, in your band's defense, you also must realize that your bandmates' idea of rehearsal might be more about reviewing song-material and getting precious band-repetitions of whatever songs you play (original or cover.) Therefore, you can (or should be able to) sympathize/understand their frustration if it turns out that you (AND now your other guitarist) are spending a bunch of that band-time tweaking your patches/presets. Do you know what I mean?

A more efficient way to achieve acceptable results (AND not frustrate your bandmates too much) might be to record your rehearsals with a decent recorder, and listen to the "in-context" mix at home through various speakers. then you can approximate your necessary Axe-FX II edits/patch-changes based on these recordings and implement them before you rehearse again. THEN when you do rehearse again, if the Axe-FX II still needs a tweak or two, hopefully you'll be a lot closer to your "in-context" sound which is so much more important than the (useless - IMO) sound of someone tweaking away in their bedroom all by themself, before they even go to band-rehearsal! BAND-CONTEXT IS WHERE IT'S AT. IT'S THE ONLY TONE THAT ULTIMATELY MATTERS (IMO)...(unless your a solo-act - LOL!)

Best of luck with this potentially "touchy" subject!

Bill

Bill, I agree with you. I actually set up all my patches at home, but they dont translate well in a band context. They turn out to be either too sharp or bassy. Tweakery is inevitable if you need a good tone in the mix.

My advice is to tweak at volume by yourself trying to get a good in the band sound.
While rehearsing make a mental note about what could be better and fix it during full band breaks or later by yourself.

Your band mates will love you and you will get better in sound shaping.

Back
Top Bottom