Turns out, low end/bright issues are my Axe-FX II, not firmware. Version 9.0 is great

romanianreaper

Power User
In one of my posts yesterday I mentioned not having any low end and how things were brighter, etc. and Cliff said "something must be wrong". Several others chimed in and said that they don't understand the low end thing because they have to actually turn theirs down, etc. Also, I saw that "Clarky" uses the same setup as mine (Matrix poweramp and Marshall cabs) and didn't have to touch anything after the firmware update.

Over the past few days, I have had to turn the "bright" adjustment (which is currently set at 1000) to about 250 or so just to avoid eardrum bleeding. :) I also have had to dime the bass knob and also turn up the bass frequencies in the EQ block. Even then, things sounded "off".

Just FYI, I have been trying to pin down this issue with some of the guys at Fractal for awhile thru emails. The problem is that it is hard to capture an issue when it happens randomely and you can't pin down exactly what sounds "off".

Last night when I turned on my unit, it instantly sounded better. I started going thru the 9.0 presets and realized what everyone else is raving about. Every preset sounded phenomenal and I didn't have to turn down the bright setting and my low end was there even with the bass at noon on some presets.

Not sure why this is going on but the Fractal guys have been very helpful and are as confused as I am with this random thing. I videotaped some playing last night while everything was working great, so I have something to compare with.

Not sure if this has been a huge part of the issue but months ago I mentioned that my Axe-FX II USB driver always gives me an error when I try to load it on my machine. Between my driver issue and Axe-Edit, I guess something could have happened with my updates that causes this random activity. With that said, I still get an awesome tone even with the issues (just have to adjust some things), and am still happy with my unit. I know eventually I'll get this pinned down and can hopefully help someone else if they have the same issue.

I had the same problem with my axe-fx2, plus I would get random gibberish characters for my presets. Sometimes, on boot up, one of the LEDs wouldn't light up. Returned the unit to Fractal, and they said it was a bad IC. Fractal replaced the unit. The new unit sounds great.

I had the same problem with my axe-fx2, plus I would get random gibberish characters for my presets. Sometimes, on boot up, one of the LEDs wouldn't light up. Returned the unit to Fractal, and they said it was a bad IC. Fractal replaced the unit. The new unit sounds great.

Yeah, things happen. I'm just glad that Fractal is so on top of things that they fix these issues as they arise. That is the cool thing about a forum like this. We find bugs or issues and they get them fixed and reflect the changes in future updates, etc.

Back
Top Bottom