Turning your FM9 on and off mutiple times a day or leaving it on all day?

I left mine on accidentally while on vacation for 10 days. freaked out but was fine and checked w Fractal and they said no worries. I mean I leave my computers on 24-7 for years, so...

Damnit! You caught me! The other week I only sent out 2486 sexts texts to all the models in my circle! ;)
I have to say that the previous answer you gave was more epic, but this one is more into the character.

For what is worth, regarding OP, for the last 3 years I had the FM3 turned on from morning to night. No issue at all

I have to say that the previous answer you gave was more epic, but this one is more into the character.

For what is worth, regarding OP, for the last 3 years I had the FM3 turned on from morning to night. No issue at all
It's a good thing to know the FM3 , FM9's little brother , can withstand the punishment as well.

I think your wife is damaging your guitar case. I don’t blame her! 😂
I guess that's good practice at a gig. In my private studio where even my wife cannot enter without permission, I have the guitars safely placed away from obstacles. Since I'm in there from 3am to 9 pm starting a few days ago I can't tell you how many times I put a guitar on a take it off during those hours. Putting mutiple guitars in and out of cases multiple times a day would drive me crazy.

I have everything on a switched power supply and just flip the switch when I leave, I've been wondering lately if the FM9 should be powered down before cutting the power... Our X32 Behringer says to do a power down procedure every time which we weren't doing and we have less issues now, is it the same with the FM9?

Turn mine off and on as I need to (multiple times a day) - I don't see an issue with it. One time I left it on overnight and I freaked out. I dunno, part of me is worried about all that time with the LCD and LED's on. I am weird and do not base this on any facts or reality of electronics lol.

I live in a condo. I pay a flat maintenance fee a month for unlimited hot water, electricity, heat, A/C, Fast Internet, etc.

So there is no additional cost leaving anything in my home on 2 hrs or 16 hrs a day.

But for fire hazard reasons obviously I don't do this with everything.
This "flat fee" is a short term thing.
As a former condo landlord I can tell you that eventually the cost will be mirrored to the association in increases.
The advantage of the association is that is averaged out, but it isn't magic.

Didn’t read the rest of the thread but sometimes mine gets turned on Friday evening around 6pm and doesn’t get turned off until Sunday around the same time as I wind down the weekend. Never had any issues as a result. Same with my AxeFX, which is sometimes on for weeks at a time.

I guess that's good practice at a gig. In my private studio where even my wife cannot enter without permission, I have the guitars safely placed away from obstacles. Since I'm in there from 3am to 9 pm starting a few days ago I can't tell you how many times I put a guitar on a take it off during those hours. Putting mutiple guitars in and out of cases multiple times a day would drive me crazy.
Thought you and your wife were separated? Good for you if you are back together

This is how I have my stuff set up:
  • Furman stays on 24/7
    • network switch
    • PC laptop power supply
    • power strip w/ switch (off when not using)
      • Studio monitors
    • power strip w/ switch (off when not using)
      • interface
      • thunderbolt 3 dock
      • 1440p monitor
      • USB 3.0 hub
      • FM9

is it the same with the FM9?
There's no power down procedure for the Fractal units, unlike a computer, Kemper, or the X32 you mentioned. From the Fractal hardware's perspective there's no difference between cutting the power externally via a power strip and using the switch on the unit.

Last edited:
This is how I have my stuff set up so certain things stay on 24/7 and I can turn on/off the rest of my studio/computer stuff and monitors separately.
  • Furman stays on 24/7
    • network switch
    • PC laptop power supply
    • power strip w/ switch
      • Studio monitors
    • power strip w/ switch
      • interface
      • thunderbolt 3 dock
      • 1440p monitor
      • USB 3.0 hub
      • FM9

There's no power down procedure for the Fractal units, unlike a computer, Kemper, or the X32 you mentioned. From the Fractal hardware's perspective there's no difference between cutting the power externally via a power strip and using the switch on the unit.
My Cyber Power AVR 1000 VA unit stays on 24/7 , 365 days a year. I have my laptop running 24/7 and my fm9 and Elis 8's plugged into it. I turn off the FM9 once a day and turn off the Elis 8's every 2-3 hrs or so. I find the ELis 8's heat up. The FM9 is safe to leave on 24/7 but I figure a power down once every night and a power up every morning at 3 am is good enough to put in a full days work -- weekdays of course.

Turn mine off and on as I need to (multiple times a day) - I don't see an issue with it. One time I left it on overnight and I freaked out. I dunno, part of me is worried about all that time with the LCD and LED's on. I am weird and do not base this on any facts or reality of electronics lol.
There's certainly nothing wrong with shutting it off whenever you're not using it, but if you're worried about burn in on the screen, there's absolutely no chance of that.

Any chance you could burn out the LED's leaving the units on 24/7?
Burn out the LED's? You mean the rings around the switches? It could happen, but I would think that would happen quickly, as the result of a defective part that would be replaced under warranty. Outside of that, really unlikely* - you're much more likely to break one by damaging the unit somehow, dropping it, backing over it in your car, something like that.

*unless you own it for a very, very long time.

I know this is an FM9 thread and other units are usually not talked about here but I didn't want to double post.

So I ask is the AX8 just as reliable as being left on 24/7?

Back
Top Bottom