Turbo owners....how do you like Full Res IR's = worth it?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
1) Is it worth it, sound wise with Full res IR's?
2) Does it make you have to leave stuff out, even with more power under hood (because of Full res IR use)?
3) Don't you wish it were C3PO gold to more easily reflect that you are better than us normal turds, owning mere regular AX3's?

I just played with the full res IRs briefly. I didn't find them all that useful, especially for the 20% CPU that it cost to run them in stereo. I feel like much of what you can accomplish with the full res IRs can be done for much lower CPU in a reverb block, although it's not quite the same.

I know that there's more you can do to lower CPU like use the IR player instead of the cab block, but I'm not real big on having every option in the world for IRs anyway. I really only use a single IR which is a blend of a couple IRs that I shot myself of my favorite cabs.

I only got the Turbo because I needed a second Axe FX III for my studio rig. I would have been just as happy getting another Mk1 although I do like having the extra preset space. And I mean, if Turbo is an option, you have to go for it right???

I haven’t played with them yet. The sounds I have heard are mighty impressive.

As far as “is it worth it” I can already say “Yes, it is,” without using the Full-Res yet. Whether I’m using it for cabs, other effects, or just breathing room, $200 seems a small cost to not have to worry over it. Essentially (at least until the Nitrous version), if an Axe Fx can do it, I can do it. That’s good to know. I’d have purchased the Turbo even if Full Res was not a thing… it just makes sense to me.

Oh yeah, no gold plating yet. :)

Last edited:
MK I owner here... Fullres is AWESOME!!! I can describe the experience thru headphones as "sounds just like I have my cab besides me bleeding thru my headphones", it really has the AITR thing going on. With my studio monitors I can dial a really nice punch, oomph and body to my chugging presets that I really like. Now, that's with the stock Fullres cabs included in recent Firmwares, I think Cliff was still figuring out a way for us MK I users to store a couple User Fullres cabs but hasn't made it clear if that's still going on or we'll have to settle with the Factory IRs and use Scratchpad for 3rd party ones, so that's one point to consider if you like them.

Now, on CPU, they have a toll to consider if your presets are already exceeding the 70-75% mark, then that's where I suppose the extra juice in the Turbo will shine.

I like them and see they are great tools for certain purposes yet, I'm not using them in my few favorite presets. The extra cpu in the turbo is about more blocks and crazier presets but have ideas of experimenting with fullres. It's amazing (and overwhelming) what this little black box can do!

Last edited:
1) Is it worth it, sound wise with Full res IR's?
2) Does it make you have to leave stuff out, even with more power under hood (because of Full res IR use)?
3) Don't you wish it were C3PO gold to more easily reflect that you are better than us normal turds, owning mere regular AX3's?
Nah, gold is nouveau-riche tacky.

I would like it to make a "PSSHHH!" sound on boot, tho.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom