TubeAmp vs AxeUltra = my test

Where is the RealAmp?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Raising the Spkr Rez Freq helps improve the Amp Block's bottom end..

I think that your real amp has some extra resonance in the low-mids, something that an EQ can't really match, but the resonator might be a solution, mix= 2-5% after the amp block, let us know if it works ..

The Spkr Rez Freq control is sweepable, up into the lower-mids if desired. Personally I can't get my Ultra to match my tube pre's top and bottom either, but that control can help one get closer. I'm hoping that the v3.x Axe II firmware addresses this to some degree?

bottom end =/= low mids

Sounds like the the first half is the Real amp, and second half is the Axe Fx.

Sounds pretty close though!

Well, thanks to everybody.
I’ve learned from this experiment – not to worry to much :)

I just finished my website, so I published my album. Thus, if you interested, you can check how this Analog-Amp-Setup works in a real mix. I use this setup almost everywhere in this album. www.ikslim.com/music/4-you

I’ll try to finish next Album with AxeUltra only. Actually, all the material already recorded with AxeUltra only, and I will try to keep this way until release. I am intrigued by comparing two albums...

Last edited:
Nolik, how exactly did you set up your experiment? Did you make an IR of your amp first and then use that? What real amp/cab/mic did you use and what virtual amp/cab/mic did you use on the Axe-Fx. I'm sorry if I've missed something here but I didn't see anything of how you did this test.

Thanks.

Lotus.

Nolik, how exactly did you set up your experiment?

No, it was simple. The analog path connected to AxeUltra as an ExternalFxLoop. So, both have the same pre-Eq and post-Cab-Ir-Eq. The trick was to match only Tube-character-dynamic-tone-response of the analog chain. No real Mic-Cab involved.

Last edited:
the first half is the real amp, the unmistakable hum gives it away. The Axe on the second half is hum-less and much better sounding.

second half amp
(posting before reading answer on page 3)
(Coming back to edit an horaaay after getting my correct answer confirmed)

Muhaha! horaaay!
I was right again!
weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Cobrango 2 - 0 axe-fx comparisons

Last edited:
No, it was simple. The analog path connected to AxeUltra as an ExternalFxLoop. So, both have the same pre-Eq and post-Cab-Ir-Eq. The trick was to match only Tube-character-dynamic-tone-response of the analog chain. No real Mic-Cab involved.

Does that mean that you bypassed the power tube section of the amp then? Did you use only the preamp section of the the amp going into the Axe-Fx or did you use the speaker out signal with a powerbrake? Did you plug the guitar straight into the real tube amp or did it go through the Axe-Fx first? I'm a bit confused.

There's no doubt that you've got a really close match on both sound samples but IMO to use the phrase "real" tube amp (which by most guitarist's preceptions is a guitar plugged straight into an all-tube amp with nothing in between and then micing the cabinet) seems quite misleading to me in your experiment here without explaining exactly what you did in the comparison. If all you did was compare the preamp of a real tube amp to the Axe-Fx, then I can understand the results you're getting. However, the entire poweramp stage would have been bypassed and that's a huge part of a real tube amp, IMO. Can you please expand on your setup?

Thanks,

Lotus.

However, the entire poweramp stage would have been bypassed and that's a huge part of a real tube amp, IMO. Can you please expand on your setup?
Thanks,
Lotus.

Yeas Lotus,
I have no any speaker.sym, so only preamp section has been used. Honestly speaking, I was wondering the purchase of AxeII will solve the needs of any speaker simulator, but, as far as AxeII almost impossible to get in Europe, thus, I have no idea about how it works in this way >> I start thinking of getting speaker.sim :)

I’ve learned from this experiment – not to worry to much :)
Yep
thumbsup.gif

Your comment about the public knowing even less when in a band environment is even more pertinent
yessmiley.gif

Back
Top Bottom