Tube pre power amp settings?

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
I just started messing around with the Tube Pre sim while trying to peg my straight-ahead jazz tone and I'm a little bit mystified about the default power amp sim settings for this amp sim.

Why does the knob normally associated with Presence become a Hi Cut control in this sim?
Does this mean that there is no possibility of mimicking negative feedback while using this amp sim?

Why do the the Skr Res settings default to a flat setting (no res freqs specified, no gain at each freq, etc. - i.e. no speaker resonance at all)?
If the intent was to have this amp sim represent a tube preamp with no power amp connected then why does the Sag control default to a non-zero setting?

How would I set up the power amp sim parameters to mimic a flat/warm tube power amp running 6L6s with a very clean (no clipping at all) tone?

Why don't the default power amp sim parameters for this amp sim default to settings such as the ones I'm suggesting above?
Will this ever be done in a later firmware release?

Am I missing something?

OK.
I get the Hi Cut issue now.
It's weird because the way it works is that if you set it so there's no negative feedback, by turning down the Damping parameter to 0, then the Presence control changes to a Hi Cut control.
But that's only true when the power amp sim is actually active.
With Damping at 0, when the power amp sim is defeated (by turning Sag to 0), the Hi Cut control becomes a Presence control again.

The default Damping for this sim is 0 but the default Sag is non-zero @ 0.20.
So that's why the default for the Presence control is actually a Hi Cut control.

It's a little bit confusing, but I get it now.

Still miffed at the default power amp sim settings for this amp sim though.
Why set it up this way?
It really looks like the intention of these defaults was to have a tube preamp that is not connected to a tube power amp, which is fine.
But then why have the Sag default to 0.020 instead 0, aka "P.A. Off"?
And even if the default was to have Sag at 0 (i.e. with power amp sim off), the other defaults for the power amp parameters could be set to values that are more useful as a start.
Then all I'd have to do is turn the Sag up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom