Tube Power Amp with AXE FX III Fryette G2902s or G2502s

Great information. Yeah I think just not using a cab block in a preset is what makes more sense for me to do rather than the global settings. Then just turn on or off the power amp modeling in the amp block depending on what sounds best.

Just need to decide on 2902S versus the 2502S. This is just for moving air at home. I know a bit overkill but I am used to playing thru 100 watt heads and 412 cabs at home. I figure as long as the 2/90/2 has a gradual slope on the vol pot, then it would be the better choice. Always nice to have the power there even if you don't use it all the time. Room filling punch is key for me.

Either model will fill that role with ease. Unless you plan to play at very high volume you shouldn't even hear much difference between the sound of those amplifiers. Both have a lot of clean headroom.

The taper on the volume of the power amp doesn't matter all that much because you can use the output level on the Axe-FX (which is perfectly linear) to handle the volume control.

Standard rack screws work fine for holding my 2/90/2

1724002766875.png

A standard (good quality) rack should not be an issue with the 2/90/2. I used one for years and the rack rails never bent, but my back didn't appreciate it at 1am after playing for 4 hours. :-/

You won't regret going with the 2/90/2 - it is fabulous with the AxeFx.

Either model will fill that role with ease. Unless you plan to play at very high volume you shouldn't even hear much difference between the sound of those amplifiers. Both have a lot of clean headroom.

The taper on the volume of the power amp doesn't matter all that much because you can use the output level on the Axe-FX (which is perfectly linear) to handle the volume control.

View attachment 144060
You have two different rack cabs which do you like better? I guess you went with two for weight savings?

I am not sure the weight will matter to me. It will live in a rack. Will the standard rack screws not hold it? Is everyone concerned with the weight because of touring?
It held in the rack just fine, with all my other gear in it but having to shlep the rack to every rehearsal and gig, up and down flights of stairs, across car parks and usher it though throngs of drunken punters, well my spine couldn’t take it any longer, so it had to go…

View attachment 144060
Another contributor to a decision might be that I have more experience with el34 tubes and have spare sets of them as well as pairs of 6ca7 tubes. But I definitely like the feel and punch of a 100 watt head versus a 50 watt head. However that 2/50/2 is per channel so I would think it would feel similar to a 100 head?

Last edited:
A standard (good quality) rack should not be an issue with the 2/90/2. I used one for years and the rack rails never bent, but my back didn't appreciate it at 1am after playing for 4 hours. :-/

You won't regret going with the 2/90/2 - it is fabulous with the AxeFx.
Do you know if you can connect let’s say an 8 ohm cab to channel A and then a 16 ohm cab to channel B as long as the impedance selection is correct for each channel? I thought I read somewhere the tube circuits are independent which would lead me to think I could do this. As I have 2 16 ohm cabs but also have an 8 ohm cab that I might want to run at times with a 16 ohm. Separate channels of course.

You have two different rack cabs which do you like better? I guess you went with two for weight savings?

Modularity is the primary goal. I want to be able to take the amp and Axe-FX separately because I don’t usually use an amp (IEM only). I don’t use the 2-90-2 with the Axe—FX. I use a QSC solid state amp (which is in another separate rack not shown).

The 6U rack is a low end Gator model that I purchased locally used for cheap. It is made of thin plastic and has stamped metal hardware. It is okay and would be fine for gentle usage. I wouldn’t trust my gear in that case if it were going to be in the back of a band van getting crushed by the PA. It provides light protection and is correspondingly light weight.

The 4U rack in the picture is the opposite end of the spectrum. It is a fairly heavy duty model from LM Cases. It is constructed of 3/8 inch thick plywood and has heavy duty stainless steel hardware. The case alone weighs in excess of 20 pounds. I like the protection it provides. The tradeoff is that the whole package (Axe FX, Furman, and rack) is over 50 pounds. That’s a lot for a modeling rig IMO. Another thing I’m not crazy about is that the finish quality is poor. There are sharp burrs on the metal parts. It cost about $250 when I purchased it four years ago but the same model now costs $584. I would not pay that much for this rack case.

Do you know if you can connect let’s say an 8 ohm cab to channel A and then a 16 ohm cab to channel B as long as the impedance selection is correct for each channel? I thought I read somewhere the tube circuits are independent which would lead me to think I could do this. As I have 2 16 ohm cabs but also have an 8 ohm cab that I might want to run at times with a 16 ohm. Separate channels of course.

That is correct. The channels have independently selectable impedance.

Back
Top Bottom