Tube Power-Amp owners. How do you set output levels on the Axe?

Since there are no clipping indicators on the inputs of tube poweramps, I was wondering how you guys set your output levels on the Axe? I mainly use strats with low output pickups, so the input level is set around 3 o clock.

I can imagine getting better tone when the tube power amp gets a nice hot signal, but on the other hand, I want to be able to use the volume control on the power amp at home as well as on stage, so I need a useable range from loud on stage to quiet when at home practising. When the power amp gets a hot signal, it'll be that much harder to keep the volume under control

EASY!

I run mine full up on the power amp. Best ballsy tone you can get and headroom for days. Set Input on axe fx until it just barely flickers red when you strike hard and then back off a hair....then turn output on axe fx to taste. EASY!

I run mine full up on the power amp. Best ballsy tone you can get and headroom for days. Set Input on axe fx until it just barely flickers red when you strike hard and then back off a hair....then turn output on axe fx to taste. EASY!

Ok, and doesn't that alter the tone in different positions? I would've guessed I would set the levels on the axe and forget about them. Just change the volume on the power amp. The way you're describing changes the amount of signal hitting the 12AX7 input stage tube on the poweramp, so changing distortion and saturation with it, instead of just volume?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom