TS or TRS for external switches?

prometh

Power User
I have a Mission SP-1, which has a switch. They have it wired up to use a stereo TRS, as well as a second TRS for the potentiometer (expression).

If I were to rewire the switch's jack to use a mono TS instead, would I lose any functionality? I'd really like to optimize my use of available jacks.

Just curious, how would resoldering it to mono optimize the use of jacks? It'll still take up a switch input on the MFC, mono or stereo.

I think the answer is yes. It would cease to work as an external switch on the MFC. What are you plugging it into?

It would work fine. Just remember to disable the function of the unused switch on whichever MFC-101 jack you plug it into. In other words, if you plug into jack "1+2" remember to set the midi CC function of XS2 to "OFF"

I don't understand though, how this "optimizes the use of available jacks", since a TRS and a TS each use exactly one jack.

I do have a cool idea that I shared with Mission, however, for a passthru jack to allow one TRS cable to be used for the toe switches on two pedals.

I plan to use an insert cable, which is a TRS on the MFC end, and 2 TS connectors on the switches end. By modding my SP-1, I get the ability to add one extra switch. But, will I lose any functionality on the Axe-Fx?

Ah, so you add a switch to the SP-1 and make the existing one mono. 2x TS <> 1 TRS. Should be no problem for MFC and Axe, when done right. The MFC can already work with that.

Yep, I know the MFC supports it, but I'd really like to be sure that I won't lose any functionality before I modify my SP-1. Functionality like remembering the switch's digital state when changing patches/presets. Every one of my patches has a wah block—some with different settings—and I have them set up to poll the SP-1's switch to decide whether to bypass or not. I am not currently using any global blocks.

The ONLY issue i can think of is that Mission Pedals are supposed to be used with TRS cables....hopefully they will chime in and let you know if it will work or not.

The ONLY issue i can think of is that Mission Pedals are supposed to be used with TRS cables

Mission said it'd be fine. A while back, I'd tried using TS cables and nothing worked, which explains my concern this time around. Apparently, that shunts the ring to ground, resulting in a permanent bridge between the tip and the sleeve. Removing the ring wire turns it into a latching switch.

Everything works superbly now. I now have the option of adding up to 2 more external switches—3, in everyone else's case—in the future

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom