Trying to use SPDIF outs on Axe FX II with Firestudio Mobile

EightmanVT

Inspired
Now that I've been picking up my guitars again lately - I'd like to be able to record - as well as tweak patches through my studio monitors - should I ever feel like starting that process. I'm a newb really (in so many categories) - even when I used to play my recording was limited to analog inputs from an amp mic into Cakewalk or something similar. My set up now is an iMac, Adam A7x monitors, and a firestudio mobile - using Presonus. What I can't seem to figure out is how to get the SPDIF out from the Axe into the SPDIF/MIDI in on the firestudio? I can take the analog out via XLR to TRS and run that into either a line or instrument in - but that seemed to result in VERY unbalanced volume levels - I had to crank output 1 on the Axe to get anything useable. I'm also using an FRFR PA speaker so yesterday - I was just running the left output to the firestudio with the right output going to the FRFR.

I thought SPDIF would be the way to go - but I couldn't get so much as a crackle out of that port. I guess I could run USB direct from the Axe - and only use the firestudio for outputs? - but was just wondering what else I should be looking at.

You have to use 48kHz and the SPDIF from the AxeFXII will almost certainly have to be the master.

Kerrlehr's MOTU (it's an 896MKIII, right?) will do SRC on the fly from what I understand.

Oh, the reason I posted in here though, the output level should be cranked to max or close to it for a good balanced audio signal level.

From the wiki (and the manual I believe):
The front panel OUTPUT LEVEL1/2 knobs independently control the volumes at these rear panel jacks. Output 1 also adjusts the headphones level. Optimal levels will depend on what the Axe-Fx II is connected to.

To operate with unity gain, simply set the Output Level knobs to maximum. If you then route shunts from the input to the output you will get out exactly what you put in.

If levels result in clipping of attached equipment, turn down the front panel OUTPUT LEVEL1/2 knobs. At the minimum setting, volume is reduced but not silent.

NOTE: 'The Axe-Fx II uses digital potentiometers to adjust the output levels. These actually contain hundreds of tiny resistors and switches. As such, some noise may be generated while adjusting the knobs.

Of course this is assuming that your patches are also set up so that you get good deflection without clipping at that level.

Hehe - I took a deep breathe LOL - this was yesterday - I slept on it before coming in here and doing some searches. The wiki link you posted is what I found and it's also in the manual - and I believe that's what I'm doing. I did experiment with having the firestudio use the Axe clock as master - and that sent the firestudio completely out of sync and rendered it non-functioning. FWIW I do have it set at 48k. I also verified that the digital out setting is set to SPDIF. I must be missing something else...but not sure what that is.

You have your Fire-studio set to slave good, and also have it set to 48k, also good!
Did you also set your recording software to 48k?

I use to run the standard using spdif and as long as these things were place I had no problems BTW this was with a Presonus Firebox.

What kind of cable are you using? It needs to be a good 75Ω coaxial cable or the signal will just fall apart. Also make sure that the SPDIF output is enabled in the I/O menu, Audio Tab near the bottom. It'll be AES or SPDIF.

Sounds like configuration issues.

If you are sure you have your sample rate, bit depth and clocking set correctly, check if you have a software mixing or control app for your interface and check its meters and routing.

I have the SPDIF in and out running fine with ProTools and a Digi 003 interface.

Richard

Sorry for the slow reply - I just relocated from Maryland - and still don't have internet out here in the boonies yet. @barhrecords - The sample rate is the only thing I can lay claim to - I certainly haven't looked at bit depth - tomorrow I'll see if that's a knob that can be turned. I do have a software mixer running - but that's running fine and SPDIF is enabled - nothing showing on those inputs - but I can hook an analog input up to the fire studio and then the meters show those inputs just fine.

@shasha - not sure what to say about the cables - I don't have a cable that says spdif - but thought that any ol' RCA cable would be fine. If not - perhaps that's my issue but I would expect to at least get a few bits through and see some activity on the spdif input meters? I have no doubt it's a configuration issue on my end - I'm just not sure what it is. Got home too late tonight so I'll try again tomorrow. (stealing a few minutes of Internet from my neighbor.) :)

Back
Top Bottom