Trying to reamp with the AX8

Gonwild

Inspired
So my soundcard has 2 xlr L/R outputs. I plug an XLR to TRS cable from one of these, to the left IN2 on the AX8. I play my DI track from my DAW. My preset looks like this:
Untitled.png

The sound I get through the main outs however is horrible...plain and simple. Noise and static etc.

Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong? Is it the cable? (using a single XLR to TRS) some other setup? The FX-loop block outputs what comes into it right? ..my soloed DI track sounds fine by itself.

Last edited:
Just as a test - try to output your DI track directly from the FX loop to the output block (all blocks bypassed). If everything is working, you should have the same sound and rougly the same level back in the DAW.

My guess is that the level sent to the FX loop is either to hot or to cold, and you may be clipping the FX return input.

Just as a test - try to output your DI track directly from the FX loop to the output block (all blocks bypassed). If everything is working, you should have the same sound and rougly the same level back in the DAW.

My guess is that the level sent to the FX loop is either to hot or to cold, and you may be clipping the FX return input.

Bypassing all but the FX loop results in no sound. Even with the output level at max. Enabling the both the amp and cab results in feedback and noise....

You don't have a dedicated line-out on your soundcard. You need something that'll output AS A line-out specifically. Make sure your track output is set properly, which means you'll sometimes have to start at -18 db on your track fader as that's what's typically suggested for analog gear. You must go out from that assigned Line Out (not your MAIN outs) to the input of the AX8. THIS HAS TO BE A TS (INSTRUMENT) CABLE AND NOT TRS. Then, make sure the output on the AX8 is set relatively low. Probably start at the 9 o'clock position (straight to the left). You should see a waveform that shows dynamics (peaks and valleys) and NOT a big solid bar of noise. Lots of people don't quite understand how to re-amp so I recommend searching youtube. AGAIN, YOU NEED A PROPER INTERFACE WITH LINE OUTS ASIDE FROM THE MAIN OUTS.

You don't have a dedicated line-out on your soundcard. You need something that'll output AS A line-out specifically. Make sure your track output is set properly, which means you'll sometimes have to start at -18 db on your track fader as that's what's typically suggested for analog gear. You must go out from that assigned Line Out (not your MAIN outs) to the input of the AX8. THIS HAS TO BE A TS (INSTRUMENT) CABLE AND NOT TRS. Then, make sure the output on the AX8 is set relatively low. Probably start at the 9 o'clock position (straight to the left). You should see a waveform that shows dynamics (peaks and valleys) and NOT a big solid bar of noise. Lots of people don't quite understand how to re-amp so I recommend searching youtube. AGAIN, YOU NEED A PROPER INTERFACE WITH LINE OUTS ASIDE FROM THE MAIN OUTS.

From Axe-Fx wiki: Send the recorded DI-signal back in the AX8 using Input 2, process it on the grid, and record it, using S/PDIF OUT or the analog outputs

Are you saying one shouldn't use the FX-loop for reamping purposes? Will a reamp box be able to take the soloed DI from one of the main outs and deliver it to the guitar input?

I got the RME Babyface interface. Quality card, but maybe lacking in connectability...
Output DA (Main, 2 Channels): 2 x XLR, servo-balanced
Output DA (Phones, 2 Channels): 2 x 1/4" TRS (Stereo), unbalanced (on breakout cable and interface)

I would take one of the XLR outs and send to the FX return of Ax8 (using an XLR-TRS or XLR-TS cable) - make sure to check the levels. The XLR signal will be line level, so it might be quite hot for the Ax8 input. Then make shunts across the whole grid - no blocks. This has to produce sound at the output, before you continue.

I would take one of the XLR outs and send to the FX return of Ax8 (using an XLR-TRS or XLR-TS cable) Then make shunts across the whole grid - no blocks. This has to produce sound at the output, before you continue.

Won't the AX8 only take the input from the IN2 using the FX-loop block? In that case a row of nothing but shunts won't give me any sound, as they are just listening for a signal from IN1 (guitar input) ?? Or am I misunderstanding something?

You are completely right - You should have the FX loop block, and then shunts from the FX loop to the output - sorry.

You are completely right - You should have the FX loop block, and then shunts from the FX loop to the output - sorry.

..and that's what I've already tried, resulting in sonic mayhem :tired::pensive:. I'm gonna borrow a reamp box from a friend and see if I can get this to work going XLR out--->Reamp box-->AX8 guitar input -->main outs

I'd hate to buy a new interface just for this, as I'm quite happy with it. Things were so much easier using just VST amp plugins, but alas the sound from the Ax8 is much better.

I would trouble shoot your current setup first. Do you see any input coming into the FX loop from the re-amp track?

got it working! Both using the FX-loop and with a reamp box going to the guitar input. It was as you said, not a hot enough signal going into the AX8, and I had to turn the volume on my interface all the way up :dizzy:

The sound however is not as good as my direct recorded track. It has a lot more noise/hum. Any idea where to begin searching for eliminating that? (I've tried the groud lift on the AX8..no difference)

After searching some more I find the noise to appear when I turn on the fx-loop block (to take the signal back into the AX8). Even unplugging the cable from IN2 and just turning on the FX-loop block creates this noise. Leaves me to think there is nothing wrong with my DI recorded track, or the output of my soundcard, as the only connections to my ax8 is power and xlr out.

here is a soundfile of the noise, with me turning the fxloop block on/off. Does anyone else get this when reamping?

Okey I just wanna post what my conclusion of all this was. --> I bought a new interface with seperate line outs (Scarlett 6i6) ;). Using the reamping method described in the wiki, by using the fxloop input and the fxloop block before the amp, still results in a very noisy signal. Completely unusable.

The best way I found was using a reamp box (JCR reamp), going DI-->Line out-->reamp box--> guitar input on the AX8. The signal still has some noise compared to the original, but is not much and its usable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom