Trying to match lead tone from Carr Slant 6v

MLocascio

I’m trying to match the lead tone of some recordings I made years ago with a Carr Slant 6v.

For these recordings I used the bridge pup on my PRS custom 22 plugged directly into the Slant 6v (no pedals). I used the lead channel on the amp with boost engaged and was running it at half power in cathode biased mode. Used it with a Bruno 2x12 open back cab loaded with Celestion alnico blues and mic’d with a 121.

Since the Carr Slant 6v is a 6v6 power tube based amp that had a fair amount of gain on the lead channel, I’m not sure which amp model in the FM3 would be the best starting point to try to match the tone.

I can post recordings if that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Posting recordings would be best... I big part will be the speakers/mics used on the recording.

I believe there Carr Ambler model we have is also 6v6 as well as the Princeton, which I think it was based on... But I think both of those are single channel.

After a bit of googling, I found this:

Carr explains. "Two of my favourite amps at the time I started work on the Slant 6V were a 1964 blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb and an early '70s Marshall JMP 50 non-master volume head.
I'd spent a lot of time modifying them and hoped to bring the best features from both designs together in a unique package. I'm sure this is the same idea many amp builders start with, as these are archetypal amps."

Maybe try a 50w Marshall model and change power tubes to 6v6 as a starting point?

My recollection of the Slant6 is pretty old now, so grain of salt and all, but I might suggest some of the smoother midgain amps like the LoneStar lead channel or Shiva lead. I never thought of the Carr lead channel being particularly Marshally. I remember it being a "lower" gain sound with pretty round mids without the boost, and getting more smooth/sustainy with the boost on.

The real Rambler (6l6's, one of 2 amps that I still own) doesn't have much in common to my ears with the Slant 6 (Rambler was a bigger/wider clean sound to me), and the Ambler model breaks up earlier than my Rambler.

Posting recordings would be best... I big part will be the speakers/mics used on the recording.

I believe there Carr Ambler model we have is also 6v6 as well as the Princeton, which I think it was based on... But I think both of those are single channel.

After a bit of googling, I found this:

Maybe try a 50w Marshall model and change power tubes to 6v6 as a starting point?
Thanks for searching. I don't remember seeing that comment from Steve Carr. I will post a couple of recordings. Hopefully that will help.

Very nice!

Kind of reminds me of a Robben Ford Dumble-y tone.

I can suggest a few would probably get you there:

CA Triptik Modern
CA OD-2
ODS-100 Ford (several flavors)
Bludojai Lead

Back
Top Bottom