trying to make a patch that uses TWO amps..... but failing

so yea im trying to make a heavier sound using 2 amp sims in 1 patch rather than just 1 amp. anyways id like the das metall for amp 1 and corncob r100 for amp 2... anyways the finished sound from that just sounds awful like there is really weird feedback... its more apparent right after i mute a chord... but regardless its still VERY apparent and unplayable that way.

i dont know to much about using 2 amps in a rig nor do i know how to do it on the axe... also ive only had my ultra for 2 weeks :) any advice on how to pull off this combination of amp blocks or just multi amp blocks in general would be great thanks in advance.

Run through the factory presets. There are a couple of dual-amp patches, each with their own cab, or sharing a cab.

jayarpeggios said:
anyways the finished sound from that just sounds awful like there is really weird feedback... its more apparent right after i mute a chord... but regardless its still VERY apparent and unplayable that way.
You haven't provided much info on how you have set your preset up but essentially you need to run them in parallel (separate rows). If you run them in the same row (series) the result will invariably be quite muddy, undefined with a potential for uncontrollable feedback. So, run them alongside each other and the results will be much better.

Also results will vary if it is all summed to mono. Stereo will sound best but a dual mono amp setup can work if they are set up properly.

I'm sure if you provide more info in regards to your setup there will be many others that can offer some suggestions to suit your needs...

i'd probably delay one side a tiny bit too (20ms or so), so the same exact tone isn't happening right on top of itself

i was running them in the same line i havent used multiple rows yet ill try that when i get home in a few hours and let you know.

jayarpeggios said:
so yea im trying to make a heavier sound using 2 amp sims in 1 patch rather than just 1 amp. anyways id like the das metall for amp 1 and corncob r100 for amp 2... anyways the finished sound from that just sounds awful like there is really weird feedback... its more apparent right after i mute a chord... but regardless its still VERY apparent and unplayable that way.

What you are hearing is probably phase cancellation. I always got this on high gain patches that used dual amp sims. It was especially noticeable when playing single note lines. Try playing some single notes using the neck pickup (if your guitar has one), high up on the neck of your guitar. If the notes sound all washy and "phasey", then that's what it is.

The only way (I found anyway) around phase cancellation, is to have the amp sims in separate rows and have them panned hard left and hard right. You will also have to be using a stereo setup with separate speaker cabs/monitors so the 2 panned amp tones are separate from each other (coming out of the same speaker will still give you phase cancellation).

Good luck.

I can't imagine that running amps in the same line like below (in series) could ever sound good:

----Amp----Amp-----Cabinet------->

Try doing this instead:

----Amp-----Cabinet------->
\__Amp_____Cabinet______>

...or, this:

----Amp----Cabinet------->
\__Amp___/

yea i did the amps in different rows one above the other then connecting after and that seems a lot better.. i only have one cab at the moment but in a week roughly i will have two cab so i can try panning the amps to individual cabs.

If you used them in series, it will sound awful. In parallel, you have to watch out for phase issues if you run in mono. Certain amps that like eachother.

Back
Top Bottom