trying to incorporate a global boost switch on MFC

oakridge

Hi there
fairly new to AxeFx stuff--ie only had Axefx2 for a few weeks and just got MFC
Trying to set up MFC and slowly getting there
I would like to use a boost (Global) for all presets so can boost up a bit for soloing without changing presets
I also will need to use a volume pedal and so am a bit stuck how to do this
If I enable a switch on MFC to say volume switch from 111 to 120 (and therefore boost)--wont that negate the effect of my volume pedal??
I could use a volume block but the way Im setting things up at the moment dont really want to give up a block
is there any way I can run both a volume pedal globally and a boost switch globally and independently, preferably not giving up a block on the grid?

Thanks in advance

Oh and thanks Cliff et al
you have changed the way I seek tone, for the rest of my life!!!

Scott has a post on this which is what I used (I can't seem to locate it) and it works great (+6db across all presets). I'll keep digging......

Courtesy of MATMAN. All credit there! (Wish I knew how to link to the other post)

Hi guys. I set up a GLOBAL boost which works for all presets. Here's how:

Set an IA SWITCH to "NONE"
Set its CC# to that of OUT1 VOLUME
Set the OFF value to "111" (the unboosted level)
Set the ON value to "127" (the boosted level)

Voila. Instant global boost.

You can in fact set up more than one pedal in this way by using SWITCH LINKS, which gives you two boost levels. Just set the 2nd IA to, say, 111 and 119.

I haven't measured the correlation between the 0-127 values and dB, but this would be easy enough to do I think.

PS: ONLY WORKS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN EXPRESSION PEDAL ON OUTPUT1 VOLUME! I happen to like using mine on INPUT VOLUME, which gives varying gain as the pedal is pushed (like an analog volume pedal would do in front of an amp).

Courtesy of MATMAN. All credit there! (Wish I knew how to link to the other post)

Hi guys. I set up a GLOBAL boost which works for all presets. Here's how:

Set an IA SWITCH to "NONE"
Set its CC# to that of OUT1 VOLUME
Set the OFF value to "111" (the unboosted level)
Set the ON value to "127" (the boosted level)

Voila. Instant global boost.

You can in fact set up more than one pedal in this way by using SWITCH LINKS, which gives you two boost levels. Just set the 2nd IA to, say, 111 and 119.

I haven't measured the correlation between the 0-127 values and dB, but this would be easy enough to do I think.

PS: ONLY WORKS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN EXPRESSION PEDAL ON OUTPUT1 VOLUME! I happen to like using mine on INPUT VOLUME, which gives varying gain as the pedal is pushed (like an analog volume pedal would do in front of an amp).

Yes, Matman's method works great. Just remember that if you want the same boost to effect both Output 1 and Output 2, from the front panel of the Axe FX, I think in the I/O menu, you'll need to change the Output 2 CC, which is a default of 12, to 11 to match the Output 1 CC.

This is/was Matman's suggestion - I use it and highly recommend it. Note Joe's advice above too if you want it to apply to Output 2 at the same time.

Credit where credit is due - this one's M@'s!

I use a filter on null at the last block before the output mixer. M@'s idea is cool except I prefer having control of my master output via exp pedal so I can't so this idea

With the Axe-Fx 2, couldn't you just program a globally linked Filter block set to +6 db or however loud you wanted it at the end of all your patches, then set your patch volume to just below clipping with it enabled, then assign it to an I/A switch? That way you could control your overall output with the front knobs while also having access to your boost.

You would have to go to the trouble of setting up that Filter block in all of your patches though.

With the Axe-Fx 2, couldn't you just program a globally linked Filter block set to +6 db or however loud you wanted it at the end of all your patches, then set your patch volume to just below clipping with it enabled, then assign it to an I/A switch? That way you could control your overall output with the front knobs while also having access to your boost.

Yes, but the other method (dedicated Out1/Out2 CC) doesn't interfere with the front panel knob functions either, so if you're not using those CC#s in a different way you can get the same result at no block/CPU expense.

Back
Top Bottom