Trying to get a classic Priest sound.

Heading out to the highway....
Rythmn sounded great to me. The solo section sounded to compressed and "whammy-ish", if you will..... Think it would sound better with the 2nd harmony having a 10 ms delay so it sounds more like a second guitar rather than a whammy.

I used a JCM800 and a couple of 1960s panned hard left and right. I've redone the patch with a 1987x , which I believe is what Glenn Tipton was using for Unleashed In The East, which I'll post soon.

Hello,
To get one guitar to sound like Priest is very hard... Glenn's was a bit Mid rangy and KK's was a bit high on the treble. Together..The Priest "TONE." I have several Priest Patches through all the era's for my tribute band Just Like Priest. Had some great success with era drive pedals and Marshall Amps. Remember up into the Painkiller album there was not a tone of gain. Try the MXR Drive with the 1987 and think of what speakers where big in 1980...Marshall 1960A with the GT75. Up until the rack gear came out GLenn was all about slamming the front end of a Marshall with different era drive pedals. Watch the Drive they had no sizzle.. Just an overdriven tube amp. Also try a Brit 800 buy itself and increase the Drive until it breaks up without sizzle.. If you want Glenn's Painkiller tone..........

Here something to try: 1987x norm drive at 10 everything else stock with 1960 B 75 (OH or RW) cant remember.. rev small room Glenn pre 80's. 1987 x treble KK.
80's try Full OD which i believe is an MXR drive 6/7 and 1987x norm with 1960 B 75's rev small room and you got british steel...watch the drive. I do not use the cab sims. I go into FX return of Mark V and recto cab... But it think the 1960B 75's where when I ran FRFR.

JLP

Everyone, thank you for your comments.

Kippiejr, thank you for the advise. I'm currently using a 1987x and 1960As with drive in front for when the missus is out and I'm pretending to be Glenn Tipton.

I was at a Guitar Show in Birmingham the other day and I was talking to the guy who supplies Glenn Tipton's Engls. A Powerball and an Invader are the current flavours of the day. If only he could get that in one box...

Back
Top Bottom