Trying to emulate this

shep

Inspired
guitar sound. I've been 'round the bush w/ a number of amps, closest being the New Recto. But I have yet to get near this size (huge! IMO), attack, or tone. I have quite a few Redwire IR's (Basketweave, Marshall, Mesa, Orange, Tweed, Uberkab, Vox) as well trying the internals. Here's the clip - it's commercial level, so watch your levels...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1870114/David%2 ... 0Sound.mp3

I have a '86 Charvel Model 6 and a Jem, both tuned down (although just to D - I understand I won't get as low til I use a 7 string) for guitar options.
I'd really appreciate a point in the right direction. A patch and/or recipe would really help to show me where I'm going wrong. Thanks very much, Shep

Most of the "huge" recorded guitar sounds you hear are composed of multiple layers of tracks.

There are a number of ways to create this; you can add a small bit of delay to thicken the tone (like 20-40 ms), use dual amp settings in a patch, tweak the parametric EQ....

There's a guy on the forum named Nolly who has some really great heavy/huge tones. You might pm him, if you don't find what you need from searching the forums.

I don't have much other advice to offer, as I don't have an Axe yet! I've just been studying it while saving up the money to buy one.

I wish you good luck on finding some info. I'd search the forum for posts using the author name "nolly" though, because he was working on the same issue and succeeded.

Thanks -I'll try your suggestions. How long til you get yours?

I'm also trying mixing a direct and 57 on my 5150 Marshall 4x12 getting the other output from the Ultra. Seems the room sound is tough to approximate and get a right send level. This is one of my favorite tones, much preferred to the over the top metal sound so prevalent over at places like Ultimate metal IMO.

Thanks for replying - I'll try your suggestions. Would love to find a patch 'nolly' made. How long til you get yours?

I'm also trying mixing direct and mic'd tracks tio see if it brings me any closer. Take care - Shep

Hi,

won't be able to order mine until the first week in January. :(

So about 9 more week....but who's counting?

If I'm not mistaken "Nolly" is the other guitarist in the band Periphery, alongside Misha "Bulb" Monsoor. They do progressive/metal/djenty style stuff.

I personally have no idea what "Djenty" means....I'm guessing that's the bassy chug you get when playing drop tuned stuff? Anyhow, I get that it means HEAVY, and that's cool.

Back
Top Bottom