Trying to do match EQ IR...

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
I am nearly complete in my quest to do a match EQ of Metallica's Through the Never. I have followed 'Clark Kent's' video instructions. However, the end result is a wave file. I am trying to import the IR that I have created into my Axe II, but it is not a syx file. How do I convert it to .syx so the Axe II will let me load it?

I used Izotop Ozone 5 to match the EQ, and Voxengo Deconvolver to generate the test tone and create what I thought would be a syx file.

It already is 48kHz. I tried using the Axe FX IR Converter. The stand alone app, not the IR capture feature of the Axe II. Actually, I just checked the link you pasted. That is what I tried to use. What am I doing wrong? I select the user slot that I wish to overwrite and I see the MIDI In light come on, but the file never transfers.

I'm not familiar with using the IR Converter app to send files to the Axe-FX II...

If you've got your file correctly converted to SYX format just use Axe-Edit to upload it to a user slot as you would any other IR.

I think I got it now. Unfortunately I'm 20 miles away from my II ATM. I used Axomatic to convert my .wav sweep file to .syx. Now I can import the .syx file into a user slot. Before I couldn't even see the file because it wasn't a .syx. Thanx!!!

+1 I'd love to have a whirl at the IR or preset when you get it all together. BTW, your EQ advice on the acoustic IR was golden! So much better now. Thanks shotgunn

I think it is simply because he enlightened us to it. His video is more intuitive than the one I saw on Izotopes website. At times I think Clark Kent moved a bit too fast. Overall I was able to follow it perfectly. If it wasn't for the issues I had converting it to a .syx I would have been jamming to my custom IR's. The plugin has MASSIVE latency and I was able to hear my "uncab'd" Axe II sound play through the EQ match curve. All I can say is WOW!!! I was trying to match Hetfields tone on Through the Never (the only spot on the album with a guitar only section!!!). DUDE IT WAS SPOT FREAKING ON!!! I almost started crying. I did Dimebag's tone on Vulgar, Dino on Demanufacture, and Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve. I cannot wait to get home and upload these IR's and wail!!!!

For the record, I don't get why Clark Kent has a "match EQ" method named after him. It's all documented on the iZotope website in a video tutorial:
iZotope, Inc - Audio Processing Technology and Plug-Ins for Pro Tools, VST, MAS, Audio Unit, and DirectX

I know right!!! I'm gonna try to make an acoustic IR of John Petrucci's tone on the LTE song 'Hourglas'. Such a beautiful bright acoustic sound. While I'm at it I'll probably do Stairway too. Why the heck not???

+1 I'd love to have a whirl at the IR or preset when you get it all together. BTW, your EQ advice on the acoustic IR was golden! So much better now. Thanks shotgunn

I still think it would be great to get a two minute video detailing everything... the CK videos get a bit long winded... just give me the steps in detail please!!! :D

I think he did more than a year ago, but at the time he also was talking about some secret "own way" move he did then. Haven't looked at the vid yet.

I wasn't sure Alberts IR convertor works for the II?!?! personally I use the LMO one thats on the ownhammers site
http://www.ownhammer.com/axe-o-matic/
.....never had a problem!
one thing tho...when you export the IR make sure you process it thru voxengo again...I forget to do this alot!

PLEASE share the dino one to man! I do have my own version I'm putting up soon as well as a few more in the IR match thread I did

That match EQ tutorial is brilliant. I've a lot of master tracks which I was able to Eq match 6505, Mesas, DAR, Engl, Axe FX etc and it works great.

So what part of the IR creation process determines the volume of the IR? I ask because of of my new IR's sound great, but the volume is all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom