Trying to convince indie kids AX8 doesn't sound like shit...

The most important point mentioned in this thread. This has zero to do with analog vs digital and about fulfilling a client's needs. If you as an engineer are being paid by the artist it's really their call. If they demand to use only Sure 57's to record at a bus stop and to do everything in 1 take...if they can afford to be eccentric it's their call. In the same way you as an engineer want them to be more open minded to the Axe, you need to be more open minded to their demands as crazy as they may be because a huge part about tracking is capturing the intangibles and sometimes it takes an unconventional approach to get the best takes available. The question is whether you want to take client's on like this as their experience, good or bad, will have your name attached to it.
I completely respect and understand where you're coming from. That's how I've always been-it's their dime. At the same time, I'm trying to make the process as convenient as possible for myself since they're not able/wanting to pay much.
I don't believe in undervaluing yourself. It sets things in motion for others to feel they can do whatever they want with you.

Again, I was merely suggesting it because I know how much easier it'll be to mix later.

It's the fact that they regard their sound as more of a fashion statement that fueled the fire for this post. It's like it was mentioned earlier-it's typical of the younger generation to show up to a session with more baggage than seasoned musicians. I'm not saying that being open to modeling tech is a mark of an experienced player but what I AM saying is that the more mature musicians understand circumstance and know when and when not to be picky.

If you can possibly run a DI and record both then make a comparison in a mix for them as the possibility that would be ideal. Are they running a clean amp or dirty? If it's clean maybe you can re run it through some processing to fine tune. Not ideal but I've done that to fix really poorly recorded guitar before.

Back
Top Bottom