Trying out a MXR Booster with Ax8 – Levelling different guitars

Johan Allard

Power User
There was a recent discussing in the FM3 Footswitching options thread (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-footswitching-options.150351) about using an input boost at the beginning of an FM3, or Ax8 for now, to level out different guitars.

Yek suggested using the Level in the Input block (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-footswitching-options.150351/#post-1787254), but unfortunately it's not possible to assign a modifier to the Level. It would be awesome if this could be added to all Fractal products :)

Also, I've been playing around a bit with Austin Buddy's excellent Dream Rigs and he uses a Micro Boost (based on MXR Micro Amp) to boost Single Coils to Humbucker levels.

Using a Drive block is obviously fairly expensive (CPU wise) and it's annoying in this use case that each scene change would disable the Single Coil Input boost. And it's also annoying having to add a block to each preset with an external modifier. So all of this led me to actually adding a real boost pedal in front of my Ax8. After some research I decided to give the MXR booster a go. It's actually two boosts in one in the MXR booster. A MXR Micro Amp and an EP Booster. I've only used it at home so far but it works as advertised, and as I'd hoped. The Micro Amp side is controlled by the external level control and there's a high-cut if your (single coil) guitar is overly bright. I also only set the boost for a very mild boost.

mxr-booster-ax8.jpg

As you can see I've prepared room for my Pedaltrain 2 to try this out with a band next rehearsal.

I really want to keep my rig simple and I'm not sure I'll actually commit to using the external boost long term. So far, the main downside is that there's actually a fairly strong Electro Magnetic Field in this corner of the room where I have my rig setup at home, and turning on the boost amplifies the noise as well before it hits the Ax8 in a way using a boost inside the Ax8 doesn't. Then there's obviously potential wiring issues with more things in the single path and more things that could go wrong at a gig.

And, it's super handy not having to tweak individual presets to be able to engage the input boost. The MXR booster also does a splendid job of both boosting and adding a little bit of body, that I really like. I may try something like a Wampler Tumnus mini klon pedal as well if I like the MXR booster with the band.

Also, at least for this use case, the MXR booster would have been better designed for me if it had:
  • External pot for the EP booster control (it's an internal trimpot).
  • Internal trimpot for maximum boost. The pedal can boost +25dB with is WAY more than I'll ever need. If this could have been limited to something like +5dB it would have made the controls easier to fine tune.
  • External mini-switches, possibly on the side, with 3 settings for (always on, use main switch, always off) to be able to set either side as an always on with the main foot-switch just turning on the other side of the boost. Or turn off one side all together.
And so far, definitely an interesting experiment that I'd thought I'd share with you.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom