Trouble with USB audio

nicolassal

Inspired
First, let me say that I am extremely happy with my Axe FX II! It sounds great!

Second, please excuse my ignorance and if this has been discussed in another thread, I apologize for opening a new one regarding the issue. I am using an Axe FX II connected to a PC running Windows XP SP3 over USB. I installed the drivers per the instructions provided. I updated my firmware to the latest version (11.2, I believe) by MIDI over USB without any problems.

The Axe-FX II Audio and the Fractal Audio USB 2.0 Audio Devices are recognized without any reported errors in my Device Manager on the PC. The Axe FX II driver control panel shows the Axe FX II in Device 0, however when I click on Input Channels or Output Channels under Volume control, I receive an error message. Clock source says invalid. My stream formats are greyed out and show 4 channels, 24 bits under Input Stream Format, and 2 channels, 24 bits under Output stream format.

First, I was just wondering if this is normal and expected behavior of the driver and if anyone else has experienced the error messages and the greyed out stream formats.

And finally (I know this is long, and I apologize), I am using Cubase 5 and cannot find any of the Axe FX II devices through Cubase. I don't know if this is a setting in Cubase or the driver or the Axe that I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, I am truly ignorant when it comes to much of this stuff, so go easy! I am learning, thanks to this forum and many online tutorials. Thanks again.

Have you rebooted since installing the drivers? Also, in the control panel in Sound can you select the Axe as the Input/Output?

Thank you for your reply.

I have rebooted since installing the drivers, both the axe fx and my PC.

In the Fractal control panel I do not see anything that indicates the Axe as input/output, except for the stream formats which are greyed out.
In Cubase 5, I do not see any devices pertaining to Fractal or the Axe in the control panel or device setup.

Thanks for the response!

I'm gonna have to bow out of this one since I don't own a PC these days.. You'll get your answer soon though enough though- these guys are all a pay grade or two high than me. :)

In the Fractal control panel I do not see anything that indicates the Axe as input/output, except for the stream formats which are greyed out.
Not the Fractal control panel, the Windows control panel accessed from the Start menu.

So I installed the drivers on my Windows 7 machine, and everything worked. I still get the same errors and messages from the Axe control panel, but I was able to go into Cubase and see the Axe and record with it. Hmm... I'm guessing that it is a problem with my PC. Shocker! I'll keep trying to work at it with the windows XP machine and post any information that I can give.

I'm sorry if I wasted the forum's time or anybody's personal time by posting this thread. Thanks for the responses!

Those error messages are normal. You don't control the unit via the control panel. Just leave that alone.

OK. Thanks for the info. I'll post my findings if I solve the problem I am having with my windows XP machine. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom