trouble with mids

IR's are definitely a huge component.

With Blackface amps I initially struggled with the 2-2.5k "widowmaker" frequency range, which has that harsh, brash, painful quality to it when overhyped. In the end there were a few deeper tweakable parameters that I seem to recall helped:
  • In the power Amp page of the amp block: negative Feedback
  • in the Speaker page of the amp block - that Speaker Imp. curve can really make a difference

Not sure if that will help your situation, but your description of it being "brash" sounds like higher than 1k may be where the problem lies.

I might have found something that was the cause of my problem. I was setting presets with unknowingly with the cut knob on my FR12 all the way to the right which was cutting frequencies completely off. I think this was causing a hollow, honky mid sound on everything. Kind of like a "wet blanket" on everything as well. I turned it all the way to the left and everything cleared right up although my presets have way too much high end. So I'll have to adjust everything and I'll see if those annoying mid frequencies disappear. Unfortunately due to people sleeping in the house I can't do this till this afternoon.

I might have found something that was the cause of my problem. I was setting presets with unknowingly with the cut knob on my FR12 all the way to the right which was cutting frequencies completely off. I think this was causing a hollow, honky mid sound on everything. Kind of like a "wet blanket" on everything as well. I turned it all the way to the left and everything cleared right up although my presets have way too much high end. So I'll have to adjust everything and I'll see if those annoying mid frequencies disappear. Unfortunately due to people sleeping in the house I can't do this till this afternoon.

Yup, that cut knob on the Fender all the way up will definitely muffle your sound. I found on that FRFR, and to my tastes, that just a little bit of it, around 7-9 o'clock can take some of the harsh edge off without killing the tone.

Back
Top Bottom