Trouble using the AxeFX 2 Live

ConnorGilks

Experienced
Hey!

So I've just got my AxeFX 2 last week (LOVE IT) and I'm wondering how to set it up for live use. I don't want to run it through a guitar cabinet, I want the EXACT sound coming from the PA's. I'm told that if I want it set up to go to the PA I would use OUTPUT 1 for the board, then OUTPUT 2 for a FRFR monitor of some kind* that is powered in order to avoid needing a power amp supposedly. So that's great, but then how would I get more than just my guitar signal? Like if I wanted the vocals and bass in my monitor, how would I get that signal from the board? I want to make the sound guy's job easy as well.

Any ideas?

*Any recommendations on FRFR's?

I think a powered Atomic Reactor Wedge/Cab is as good a place as any to start, but there are limitless possibilities, this scenario has been disussed a ton so try the search function... concerning your Soundman, this is a very easy for him, I can't imagine too many Soundmen these days only running 1 or 2 monitor mixes... he can explain it on the gig much better, it's very easy

But how would I grab his signal if I'm using the output from my AxeFX? Wouldn't I have to hook it up to his soundboard instead?

The best way to do this is for you to get a small mixer. if it's possible grab one of the Aux sends from the FOH board and run it into one of the channels of that small mixer and mix it along with your Axe. This way you have total control of the mix of the Axe along with whatever mix of the rest of the instruments the sound man sends you. I would also use a quality FR cab for this, so RCF or the like that is going to handle ALL the instruments that are sent to it.

If you are running mono, set output 1 to sum L&R or Copy L>R and run a line from output 1 to the sound man. From there he could feed you back your signal along with other signals such as vcls, keys whatever to a monitor for you. If you have your own dedicated FRFR monitor (Atomic ...etc) you could run a line from either LorR output to that. This way you can control the "quality" of your guitar sound monitor to you.

If you are running stereo, then output 1 L&R goes to the sound man. You then would use output 2 for your guitar monitor. You could sum L&R or copy L>R on output 2 and run to your monitor. If you are using the Enhancer block, tap before the block for output 2 to avoid any phase issues, ....or just leave output 2 in stereo and run a signal from either. However you will be monitoring from only one side of your stereo field. Some are fine with this. Others claim running stereo has drawbacks as your audience will have to be located ideally to benefit from your stereo image, which of course a majority of your listeners will not be. Maybe ok for smaller venues but again some feel running stereo is fine no matter the venue size and no big deal.

Also, in stereo and tapping before the enhancer block may still get you some phasing issues depending on if you are running delays in you amp/cab or other blocks. Also ....for stereo monitoring......just copy output 1 to output 2 and run output 2 L&R to your stereo monitor rig. In the last few scenarios, the sound man will have to provide you vcl and other instruments monitor.

I use mine this way every week. Unless you need stereo for some reason, Copy L to R so you get both sides of the sound. Then I send a single out (left side) to the mains and set my input signal to the board with the output 1 knob on the front of the Axe Fx. I leave that knob alone from then on. I take a send from output 2 left to go to my Atomic FRFR cabinet. This way I can raise or lower my stage volume without affecting the FOH send. Feel free to PM me if you have questions on it. The setup works very well for me.

But how would I grab his signal if I'm using the output from my AxeFX? Wouldn't I have to hook it up to his soundboard instead?
How?

I would use OUTPUT 1 for the board
That's how. if the sound guy has it in the board, he can send it back to you through his AUX send, which is the same way he'd send you vocals and other instruments.

A few points though:

you say want to use out2 for a frfr monitor of your own, that you bring to the gig. what kind of gigs are these? you mention a sound guy, so is there a stage setup with speakers and monitors already? rarely does anyone send a monitor mix from the main mixer back to someone's personal monitor speakers. i guess it's easy enough to make it happen, but again that's usually not how it works.

let's simplify things and say there are mics and guitars only and everything is direct to the board, no pods or axefx etc. so the mics and cables go into the board in channel 1-4 and the guitars and cables go into channels 5-8. from there you turn up the volumes relative to each other (the mix) and then turn up the master fader for the FOH (audience) speakers. now the audience can hear you. but modern sound systems use monitors, the speakers facing the band.

generally, a small stage setup will have 2 monitors for the band's use. generally these 2 speakers have the same mix. to get this mix and signal to the monitors, you usually use the AUX channels to create that auxiliary mix, in this case for the onstage monitors. most boards have 2 or more AUX channels, meaning 2 or more different mixes are available, if someone wants to create those different mixes. also, you need the amplification gear to accomplish this. each different mix will needs its own amp channel. again, many smaller clubs only use 1 amp for monitor mixes and generally try to get away with just 1 monitor mix, possibly 2. whoever said soundguys don't only run 1 or 2 monitor mixes must work some big shows :)

ok so back to your scenario, you want to run out2 into your own monitor speaker, but additionally would like a band mix of some sort in there for you too. is there not going to be a venue-provided monitor for you to use? when i play, the speakers i bring are ONLY for my guitar, similar to what a real guitar amp would be, and i also use the monitors provided to me for the rest of the band.

if you want to run a mix to your personal monitors, you would need the sound guy to create an additional aux mix just for you without your guitar in it. if he puts guitar in it and you send guitar from your axe to the same speakers, you will probably have phasing issues and it won't sound good at all. you will need a line level signal sent to you, which usually they don't have available. the aux from the mixer is usually connected directly to the power amps right next to the mixer, so they probably won't have the cabling necessary to get the signal to you all the way on stage. if he does somehow get you the line level signal, you would need a mixer to balance the axe signal and the monitor return. some powered speakers, like the k series from qsc, have a 2 channel mixer built in with 2 separate volume controls, so that would work so you could balance the signals how you like. otherwise, you'd need a small external mixer to balance the 2 levels.

that got really complicated huh? so the easiest route would be use the monitors provided for the band monitor mix, and use your personal monitors for guitar only.

i approach every gig as if the band will share 1 monitor mix, so i don't rely on the house sound for my instrument levels. vocals usually dominate a mix anyway, so the instruments would be very quiet in the single mix.

Hey!

So that's great, but then how would I get more than just my guitar signal? Like if I wanted the vocals and bass in my monitor, how would I get that signal from the board? I want to make the sound guy's job easy as well.

Any ideas?

*Any recommendations on FRFR's?

I use a QSC K12 wedge which has two inputs on the back and two separate level controls and eliminates the need for a separate little mixer. So I run Output 1 from the Axe II to the PA, and I run Output 2 from the Axe II to one of the inputs on the K12. Then I run my monitor mix send from the PA mixer to the other input on the K12. This allows me to adjust the level of my guitar in my wedge by simply turning the Output 2 knob. Easier than hassling with the sound guy to adjust my guitar level in the monitor. So basically I have two feeds to my wedge. One for my guitar and the other for vocals.

Back
Top Bottom