Trouble figuring out how to use an expression pedal for each effect block.

tabqwerty

Inspired
I read through both the Axe-Fx II and MFC-101 owner's manuals and the Wiki page, but could only manage to set the pedal for volume and wah.

More info please. How are you using the expression pedal to control volume and wah? Are you using the pedal input on the AFII or are you using the external controllers?

Also describe more about what you want to set up. Separate pedal from vol/wah? Different function for one pedal in a different preset? One pedal w/ switch-based toggling among several effects in one preset?

I only have one pedal right now (Mission SP-1) that I'm using with the MFC-101. I eventually want four pedals that I can use separately for up to four effects in each preset. I don't know how to use the pedal's switch yet.

Dont you just assign it to an External Controller then assign it in the patch with the little -=- icon -> click on the drop down menu from Source Controller -> External Controller 1

I think thats how you do it...?

I don't have the SP-1 so I can't really help too much but I believe you use the switch just like any other IA switch. You need to use two jacks on the MFC, one for the expression pedal and one for the switch.
I would set it up like this: I'd assign a CC# for the expression pedal on your MFC, say CN17 (that's what I'm using anyway) and on the Axe assign External Controller 1 to CN17. Then assign a CC to the switch, ie CN16 and assign it to External Controller 2 on the Axe.
Then when you're editing the preset, any parameter with the { } brackets can be assigned to these.
For a wah you would open the wah edit page for a preset and then for the Control parameter, assign to External Controller 1. Then if you want to use the switch on the pedal to turn it on or off then go to the bypass function for the wah and assign External Controller 2 for bypass.
This is only one example.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Still dont understand what you want...

You want 4 pedals right? When you say "use for four effects" what do you want to do with those effects?

Are you familiar with the I/O button on the axe and the control page? Do you know how to set the CC number for External 1?

Basically you will set the CC number for External 1 2 3 & 4 on that page. Then in the MFC menu, you will set the same numbers for XP 1 2 3 & 4. Then on whatever parameter you want to control (that has a [] under it) go to that parameter and hit the enter button. Set the controller (is it source?) to the pedal # you want.

I'm not sure how to enable the switches, but you need to know exactly what you want each pedal and switch to do before you start changing things around.

Just four separate effects that can be de/activated by each pedal.

How do you get a specific effect to work with a specific pedal? That's all I'm asking.

Chrisallen mentioned the key steps. I'm assuming you want to control some parameter in each block, not just activate & deactivate the block (which you could still optionally do with auto-engage or a switch) by moving the pedal to max/min.

At the I/O: CTRL page on the Axe-FX, scroll down to the EXT CTRL items. Each pedal needs to be matched to an EXT CTRL.

For example, at defaults it should say EXT CTRLs 1-4 are CC#s 16, 17, 18, 19 (the numbers in the right column that you can edit if you want). On the MFC if you set pedals 1, 2, 3, 4 to CC#s 16, 17, 18, 19 respectively, this will cause EXT CTRLs 1-4 to respond to the pedals. Pedal 1 = EXT CTRL 1, etc.

At any modifier screen the EXT CTRL # you choose would determine which pedal controls that parameter.

For pedals with a switch, you can set the switch up as another EXT CTRL, which could switch any effect or do other things per preset. If you always wanted the switch to toggle the same effect you could instead set it to that block's I/O: CTRL page bypass item.

When you say "activate" do you mean just to turn on an off? Or do you mean to use the pedal to change the value of a parameter while you play, like delay time?

Just on and off, you can do that with the switches on the MFC. Right?

Chrisallen mentioned the key steps. I'm assuming you want to control some parameter in each block, not just activate & deactivate the block (which you could still optionally do with auto-engage or a switch) by moving the pedal to max/min.

At the I/O: CTRL page on the Axe-FX, scroll down to the EXT CTRL items. Each pedal needs to be matched to an EXT CTRL.

For example, at defaults it should say EXT CTRLs 1-4 are CC#s 16, 17, 18, 19 (the numbers in the right column that you can edit if you want). On the MFC if you set pedals 1, 2, 3, 4 to CC#s 16, 17, 18, 19 respectively, this will cause EXT CTRLs 1-4 to respond to the pedals. Pedal 1 = EXT CTRL 1, etc.

At any modifier screen the EXT CTRL # you choose would determine which pedal controls that parameter.

For pedals with a switch, you can set the switch up as another EXT CTRL, which could switch any effect or do other things per preset. If you always wanted the switch to toggle the same effect you could instead set it to that block's I/O: CTRL page bypass item.

What are modifier screens? Are they accessible through the effect blocks themselves?

When you say "activate" do you mean just to turn on an off? Or do you mean to use the pedal to change the value of a parameter while you play, like delay time?

Just on and off, you can do that with the switches on the MFC. Right?

What are 'parameters' exactly? Yes, just to turn on and off.

Last edited:
Parameter = anything that can be adjusted in a block or menu.

The modifier screen has the curve/line & dot, accessed w/ enter on parameters that can use modifiers, like the wah control knob.

If you only want the pedal's movement to act as an on/off switch for one block, you can set it to the bypass CC# for that block. Otherwise you can set it up as an EXT CTRL which can do multiple/various things per preset.

why do you want a pedal just to turn things on and off. why not use a button/switch that already is on the MFC?

Back
Top Bottom