Triple tracking?

torkolort

Inspired
For metal rhythm tracks, I guess double tracking and some times quad tracking is the most standard way to do it. But listening to some of the songs on Scenes From a Memory using Jammit (where you can isolated the tracks), it definitely sounds like Petrucci has three takes on the rhythm. Two panned left/right and one in center. And the center track seems the most prominent. Is this a common practice as well?

Megadeth did a bunch of their albums this way. Mustaine has 2 tracks L and R and then the rotating "other dude" is panned in the middle. Once you realize that, it's pretty easy to distinguish the parts.

Speaking of JP and Scenes From A Memory, in Fatal Tragedy when it breaks down to the end and the guitar starts in with that heavy fast riff you can clearly hear the track layers build each repetition through the riff.

Yeah - double, triple and quadruple tracking are all pretty common practices. That doesn't even address layering different tones/guitars/amps to build up the sound.

In my experience, layering a lot of guitars makes it more challenging to fit each in the mix.

If there are vocals or solos present I wouldn't stick a rhythm track in the middle without imaging. But for instrumental parts - definitely!

Back
Top Bottom