Triple Axe-Fx III rack (now with demo)

The basic idea is to do any kind of processing I want on a per-string basis.

It can be as simple as applying just a single pitch block to all 6 strings to emulate a 12-string: octave up for 3, 4, 5, 6 and slight detune for 1 and 2. Then merge the signals and run it into a typical signal path.

Or it can be as nutty as separate drive, amp, cab, effects etc. per string with each string being panned independently or maybe panning around.

Or have a synth on a couple strings, an acoustic IR on a couple strings, and a fuzz on a couple strings.

IOW, you can still produce fairly traditional guitar sounds - particularly if you blend in standard pickups with the multi-channel pickups. Or you can produce sounds that barely even sound like a guitar but can still be as expressive as a guitar.

Multi-channel distortion does not anything like what you're used to. By distorting each string individually you get far more clarity of each note - it sounds much more like a synthesizer than a guitar. In fact, the first GR units were pretty much just applying distortion and filters to each string individually. The advantage of my setup is that I can do that and have per-string control of everything.
I'm a whole lot impressed BUT also a little scared at the same time. I showed the picture to my wife (who talked me into going from FM3 to III Turbo); she rolled her eyes and asked me if I thought she really loved me THAT much....

Also @hippietim do you find that string crosstalk is still low with the modular Cycfi not placed right next to the bridge like a typical GK pickup would be? I know that the Cycfi has the best low level of crosstalk around.

I suspect the crosstalk would still be very low. However, string bending is going to be a problem. The further you move the pickup from the bridge, you're going to run the risk of bleeding or worse - hitting a dead spot.

The GK stuff works great with the CycFi gear. I’ve used it with both 13-pin gear and the new Boss GM-800 with the converter box.

Guess I'm late to the party on the cyfi stuff. Looks awesome. Polyphonic infinite sustain! Hexaphonic processing! (Which I can't afford anyway.)

Didn't see any prices. Where are they? Where does the decimal point go, for their guitars for instance?

@hippietim Do you own any of that stuff? (Haven't read back through this whole thread, sorry.) Anyone else?

Guess I'm late to the party on the cyfi stuff. Looks awesome. Polyphonic infinite sustain! Hexaphonic processing! (Which I can't afford anyway.)

Didn't see any prices. Where are they? Where does the decimal point go, for their guitars for instance?

@hippietim Do you own any of that stuff? (Haven't read back through this whole thread, sorry.) Anyone else?

Yes I own a number of CycFi products. The demo I just posted was using their new Thor guitar.

I’ve had a NU/Nexus equipped guitar for a number of years. I got the Thor guitar a couple weeks ago. It’s pretty sweet.

If you can do without the infinite sustain you can get everything you need to put the electronics in your own guitar for like $600-700. That stuff is priced on the website.

Yes I own a number of CycFi products. The demo I just posted was using their new Thor guitar.

I’ve had a NU/Nexus equipped guitar for a number of years. I got the Thor guitar a couple weeks ago. It’s pretty sweet.

If you can do without the infinite sustain you can get everything you need to put the electronics in your own guitar for like $600-700. That stuff is priced on the website.

Cool, I'll check it out.
Roughly what did a Thor cost you?

Have you played with separate amps (or drives) on each string?

Would be interesting to hear 6 of the same overdriven amp/drive (which wouldn't have IM distortion) vs. merged signal of the 6 strings going into the same.

Audio in the video is mono. Was it meant to be stereo?

Back
Top Bottom