Tried some amp models I hadn't used before yesterday...

dk_ace

Experienced
and I fell in love with the Axe-FX all over again.

I had a list of things I wanted to try that I just haven't had time to. Well, yesterday was the day, and I found some great tones. To this point, I used the Topboost, Plexi 2, JCM800, and Scott's Extasy preset for nearly everything.

I started with the DR. Z which gave me a fantastic mid gain crunchy rhythm sound. It's similar to the Topboost in an overdriven state IMO, but it's more well behaved. It was much easier to get it to sound right for me and get a tone that worked well with different guitars and pickup selections (I use quite a few different guitars and prefer not to have a different set of patches for each guitar).

Next I tried the D60L as I remembered Java saying he used it instead of the 800 for a lot of things. I wasn't completely happy with my 800 patch, so I thought it was worth a try. Wow! If you haven't tried this amp, do. I now have a killer med-high gain rock sound. I had so much fun with this sound that I almost ran out of time to try other amps.

I tried the Dumble clean settings posted on the wiki. It's a really dry, transparent clean tone that I'm sure will see some stage use. It works epecially well with a variety of guitars.

The last one I tried was the HAD drive model into the EVM12L. I wasn't digging it at first and wasn't quite sure whether or not I would use it. I don't listen to Robben Ford or Carlton, so I'm not familiar with those tones. I fiddled with a few things and then remembered a tune that might be a good test tone. Ten notes into Europa, I had that "AHA!" moment. The notes were thick and creamy, yet clear, and they would ring out for an eternity if I wanted them to. I probably won't get to use this tone live very often, but I'm looking forward to the occasion where I do get to use it. I was also surpised how well this tone works with my strat.

Those are all I had time for yesterday, but I just had to share. It was like I went out and bought a new amp collection, but I didn't have to pay for any of them. You can't beat that!

D

Isn't that Sooooo cool, If it's one thing about the Axe that I tell people it's that very thing. When you start to get tired of a Simm your using you just dial in a different Simm and it's done. It's like taking sonic pill for GAS and it makes you and your wallet feel so much better. :lol:

Sixstring said:
Isn't that Sooooo cool, If it's one thing about the Axe that I tell people it's that very thing. When you start to get tired of a Simm your using you just dial in a different Simm and it's done. It's like taking sonic pill for GAS and it makes you and your wallet feel so much better. :lol:

Bingo. I was getting that new gear itch. It was like I went and bought several thousands worth of new amps yesterday without actually spending a dime. That's a big deal for me.

D

I'm absolutely loving it! I'm running the bogner model right now, its overdriven state is amazing!

Hey

Where in the wiki did you find the 'clean Dumble' patch settings? I did a search but came up dry. Is there a little goldmine of patch information somewhere?

Like many of us, I have spent WAY too much money on gear over the years, chasing whatever tone was in my head, and even my girlfriend/partner (a.k.a. the financial voice of reason/voice of DOOM) has noticed how much less I am spending on gear since I got the Axe-FX. Every day I turn it on and try something new, any GAS that may have been in the air is quenched.

Thanks again for posting!

Richard.

My understanding of the Dr Z's is that on the tone controls, one you get up past noon they mostly become more compressed than more treble-y or bass-y or midrange-y . I'd never played the Maz Sr. but overall if you work with them they seem to have a wide range between clean and crunch.

As for the Dumble sim, I've gotten to the point where a Dumble clean is my first choice clean among the clean sims I use. Funny because I didn't really care much for them at first. I had a Menatone Howie pedal that I'd heard someone use to great effect though I never bonded with it. I't got the vibe just fine, but as much as I would tweek it I never really was happy with it. Now I use a couple of presets with them; the HAD with the gain turned down low has a nice growl. Add a drive to it and whoa.

RichardC said:
Hey

Where in the wiki did you find the 'clean Dumble' patch settings? I did a search but came up dry. Is there a little goldmine of patch information somewhere?

Like many of us, I have spent WAY too much money on gear over the years, chasing whatever tone was in my head, and even my girlfriend/partner (a.k.a. the financial voice of reason/voice of DOOM) has noticed how much less I am spending on gear since I got the Axe-FX. Every day I turn it on and try something new, any GAS that may have been in the air is quenched.

Thanks again for posting!

Richard.

I don't remember where it was on the wiki, but here are the settings:

Type: Spec. OD 1
Drive: 6.3
Bass: 3.62
Mid: 2.8
Treb: 1.57
Pres: -.094
Depth: 1.10
Damp: 6.81
Sag: 2.64
Master: 6.69
Level: -19.50
Warmth: 10.0
Low-cut: 10.0 Hz
High Cut: 10042 Hz
Tonestack: Passive
Tonestack Freq: 428 Hz
Tone Location: Pre
Presence Freq: 909.5 Hz
Transformer LF: 91.3 Hz
Transformer HF: 14964 Hz
Spkr Res Freq: 90 Hz
Stabilizer: on
Cabinet

Cabinet: 1x12 Black
Mic - R121
No other cab settings
(I'm using a Suhr Classic S w/v60 LP's & a DSV 'bucker in the bridge and a Les Paul Classic with PAF's. My Fuchs is set up with the Gain at about 2:00, Highs at 11:00, Mids at 1:00, Lows at 1:00, Accent at 11:00. This is so freaking close my wife came in and was shocked that I wasn't playing through the amp.)

I like it for a change of pace from my normal Topboost clean tone. I think it will really shine at gig volumes, but I haven't had a chance to really crank it yet.

D

Back
Top Bottom