Triaxis vs. Axe test

jojo

Inspired
I finally made some time to hook up both of my rigs side by side and compare apples to apples.

My main stage rig is triaxis + mesa 50/50 w/ deep extend mod + TC G-Major + harmonizer + nice wireless.
I'm running the Ultra with a Carvin DCM150, and although I have many unique patches, I have also programmed several banks intended to match the main banks I use in my main rack. I've done some back-and-forth, but never set them up side by side.

In order to compare apples to apples I ran the triaxis and the ultra each thru one channel of the mesa 50/50, into identical mesa 1x12 3/4 back cabs. Then I just went back and forth with the same guitars.

Needless to say, the Ultra sounded way better thru the mesa amp than the little carvin! The 50/50 provided an incredible platform for the axe, I got back a lot of the sibilance that seems lacking in some of the clean modes thru a SS power amp. But live I let the mains do most of the work so that's not a huge deal to me.

Regarding the A/B, there are a few things the triaxis can do that are really hard to duplicate, and one of my favorite triaxis sounds is very elusive: recto patch, with the "dynamic voice" on "1" and mids cranked (mids are really more of a low treble in this mode). You're not supposed to turn on dynamic voice for a "classic" recto sound, but I love love love this tone-cuts out most of the mud. Incredible string to string clarity, no woof, works with any pickup combo, sounds monstrous on huge stages. I wish Cliff would model this. But... good news, I got fairly close using the energyball model with the tonestack changed to USA clean. If I don't mess with the dynamic voice control, recto mode of triaxis is more accessible thru the axe.

All other triaxis modes I was able to ape with uncanny realism. The basic "boogie" sounds are just stellar in the axe, any variances are just different flavors of the same thing. Very very impressive.

Overall, I was pleased and not really surprised. I've been stoked over my axe ever since I got it, and I think the triaxis will be on Craig's list presently to make room for another ultra. I probably won't use the 50/50 with either ultra. As good as it sounds, my back just can't take it anymore. But I do think I want more headroom than the DCM150 so I'll probably go bigger, probably a Carvin DCM 1540L.

More later on this, but I'd love to hear from any others who have done the A/B thing like this. Especially if they can "get" that sound I'm still looking for! :roll:

Congrats on your experment... It's alwas nice to be able to reproduce a tone you really like with the Axe. Kinda makes you wonder how many you can do when you have the real deal right their to do the A/B thing.

I'm going to do a similar comparison on Wednesday. A friend of mine is going to bring over his Triaxis/Digitech 1101/Mesa 2:50 rig, and we're going to spend a bit of time with them. He's considering buying an AxeFX, pending the results of this comparison. We'll see what happens!

It's been almost 2 years since my triaxis and JMP1 pres have left the building.
I know Cliff used to play a triaxis, Seeing his cover band years ago was the reason why I bought a triaxis in the first place.

I still use my 2:90 and 2 4x12 recto cabs this is my preference over the QSC 1221i's i have, still something I am not thrilled about in comparison to the tube amp and cabs....

I am considering down sizing my cabs too but not really in a big hurry. Rock on.

Dan

i did the same test.. through a 2:90. Had the whole rack (tri, gmajor, 266xl, patchmate, pedals) and said if i can nail my main sound it's gone.. I got it where i couldnt tell the difference. I have since ridded myself of tubes.. so i use a crown 402, and for a bit was going frfr, but i plugged up my trusty old metal grill 4x12 boogies, and there was that sound again. i need to try to do an IR of one of those cabs.

I just split my 12 space rack up into a wireless / tuner rack (4 space) and a 6 space with a furman, axe, patchmate, and pedal drawer. I came to this realization after i had to navigate the 12 space shock rack up the basement stairs by myself this weekend = no fun.

Thanks for your impressions.

I also have a TriAxis and use a Axe-Fx Standard through a Carvin DCM150. For me, the Axe-Fx is more flexible with amps other than Mesa (I use USA Lead 2, Brownface, Plexi 2, USA Clean, and Recto New live). Also the Axe-Fx is also more compact and less cluttered after adding effects. Not to mention I have tweaked my Axe-Fx Mesa patches (possibly) beyond what I could achieve with the TriAxis.

However, I still can't bring myself to sell the TriAxis, even though I haven't used it in months. I'm such a pack rat. ;)

Back
Top Bottom