Trey A v001 for the Axe-Fx III is here!

iaresee

Administrator
Summer Tour kicked off this week in Tahoe and I just couldn't resist a couch tour jam-a-long with Trey and the boys. Tuesday night's tour opener was one for the ages.

This updated preset for the Axe-Fx III takes everything I've had in previous iterations of the preset from years gone by and crams it into one kitchen sink preset. This is the power of the III -- you can really have it all.

There are three AMP+CAB setups you can pick from:
  1. A clean, Komet 60 setup that uses a 4x12 greenback IR -- similar to what Trey has been running as his main rig since the start of The Baker's Dozen run last year at MSG. This setup has stayed pretty constant for him with just some AmbiKabs from Komet making an appearance behind him for a wet sound.
  2. A dirty, Komet 60 setup. Trey's been keeping a second head on stage that's running over-driven for variety. I'm not entirely certain when he uses it, but it's in the preset and it sounds HUGE.
  3. A clean, Boogie MkIII type setup that uses a 2x12 IR with a sweet top end. This is a pairing from days gone by that I've always loved. It's got lots of snap and a really fast attack to it. When you click on the TS-9s there's a real bite to the sound. And it never gets woofy in the low end the way his Komet rig has a tendency to do.
Some special sauce scenes for your amusement are also included. I really recommend you try the Mu-Tron Space Jam scene. It gets filthy funky freakin' fast! The Mu-Tron block is dialed in so well now for my hollowbody PRS. If you're finding it too fast or too slow to open with your own guitars adjust the envelope controller in the preset to taste. I must say I think the Mu-Tron is absolute perfection now. I'm sure you'll agree.

The Rotary block has 4 channels, each one ups the speed. Step through them and enjoy the whirl.

There's an octave divider pitch block for that back-on-the-train grind-y solo thing.

And a reverse delay scene that's 100% wet so you can do magic reverse solos like he does at the end of a long First Tube or Sample in a Jar jam.

Always curious to hear what others think of these presets. Post your results here and let us all know!

Get the preset here: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6434

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 7.56.39 PM.png

I will try this out tonight! Thanks.

Curious - what do you put in your Send/Rtn loop? What is missing in the III :)

thats not a loop..it is an extension of the preset for more room for blocks/routing
this thing sounds great....awesome mutron...tho I do have a query for @iaresee ...I am still trying to grok the full implications of the MULTIPLEXER Blk...what exactly is it doing in this preset?

this thing sounds great....awesome mutron...tho I do have a query for @iaresee ...I am still trying to grok the full implications of the MULTIPLEXER Blk...what exactly is it doing in this preset?
One pedal controls both the wah and the whammy block. The multiplexer decides which one you hear.

U-reek-A!!!!......thanks.
Looking at the layout with fresh eyes this morning and I'll probably put more behind the multiplexer in the future. Have it select between: Mu-Tron, wah, whammy -- at the very least. With one switch on the FC-6 to toggle between the three (or more) states of the multiplexer block.

Thanks! Scene 6 is great for the Mu-tron sound. Tried it with several guitars including a PRS semi-hollow. Now I have to learn how the available Wah and Envelope settings alter the Mu-tron effect if I want to tweak it.

Thanks! Scene 6 is great for the Mu-tron sound. Tried it with several guitars including a PRS semi-hollow. Now I have to learn how the available Wah and Envelope settings alter the Mu-tron effect if I want to tweak it.
Focus on the Gain setting on the envelope controller first is my advice. Set it so you like how the filter is opening when you play. I have to tweak that gain setting when I switch guitars to keep the filter popping open all the way when I play.

Focus on the Gain setting on the envelope controller first is my advice. Set it so you like how the filter is opening when you play. I have to tweak that gain setting when I switch guitars to keep the filter popping open all the way when I play.

I am not seeing a setting labeled "Gain"?

Screen_Shot_2018-07-26_at_11_31_39_AM.png

It's a parameter on the envelope controller, not the wah block. If you're on the hardware, from the main screen, press soft knob D to see the controllers screen.

Did we have that on the II?

I don't recall ever touching that...
Yup! It's been there since forever. It's a nice way to quickly adjust the envelope for a different guitar. Hotter pickups? Dial the gain back! Lower output pickups? Nudge it up. Doesn't take much. Just a hair change. I usually get it working at 1 for my main PRS and then adjust up or down from there for my other guitars.

Yup! It's been there since forever. It's a nice way to quickly adjust the envelope for a different guitar. Hotter pickups? Dial the gain back! Lower output pickups? Nudge it up. Doesn't take much. Just a hair change. I usually get it working at 1 for my main PRS and then adjust up or down from there for my other guitars.
Cool!

Back
Top Bottom