Trey A - 4.3 - 2022 Edition

iaresee

Administrator
Phish is doing their annual Dicks run in CO so Summer is official coming to close no matter what the calendar says.

Figured it was time to post a Trey A update.

Not much has changed and yet so much has changed.

Let's deal with the elephant first, eh? Yes, Trey has a Klon in his rig now:

1662170769536.png

It's running Klon > LESS > MORE according to the site above and the video series Trey did last year about the rig. And you can see he's using it for, uh, less than LESS settings? Sure, let's go with that.

And he's running his Trainwreck MUCH dirtier than he was last year. His "clean" tones are mostly edgy these days with not much clean in them at all. The overdriven tones are chewy, wooly with lots of harmonics in them.

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 2.19.01 PM.png

That's a shot from a show in early August.

To keep pace, I've added a third drive block to the preset. Dive 3 sits in front of Drive 1 and Drive 2 and uses the fabulous new Klon model we have in firmware 20.04:Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.09.32 PM.png

The Drive 1 block is setup for LESS and the Drive 2 block is setup for MORE TS-808 settings.

I'm back to using non-FF IRs too with the Trainwreck amp model. I just didn't like how the FF stuff sounded, live. These two 2x12 G12-65 IRs sound great together and do justice to that Trainwreck model:

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.11.14 PM.png

I've updated the amp block settings to match Trey's tones from the past month. I'm using my PRS HB Spruce, so you'll probably want to tweak to your own guitar. I've been sticking to that Tone tab and haven't had to venture into the deep settings on the amp at all to keep it feeling and sounding really close to him.

I don't get quite the feedback he does, in part because I don't play as loud as he does, so there's a compressor block in there -- if you stack two of the drive blocks and put the compressor on you'll find most guitars will feedback beautifully at pretty low volumes, when you do that. It's pretty magic.

The REALLY big changes on this preset are on the FC settings.

I've got some per-preset switch magic happening here. I'm attaching my FC-12 configuration because some of it it's not going to make any sense if you don't have my FC-12 settings.

On my EFFECTS 1 layout I've got the three drive pedals mapped out with fun, friendly names:

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.15.47 PM.png

If you hold down switch 1 to get reveal mode you'll see switches that let you access his "chase delay" sounds he's been using during the spacier jams. Delay 2 is setup for chase mode and follows the tempo as such. The DUB switch under the Delay 2 switch puts Delay 2 into a much higher master feedback settings so things saturate more. It's fun. Try it!

On the EFFECTS 2 layout there's even more surprises to behold!

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.18.12 PM.png

What's that on the left side? Are those...are they? Yes! AMP MODELS! AND CAB TYPES!

I've got the AMP and CAB blocks running in Scene Ignore mode! And AMP's 4 channels are setup with all the Trey A models I've used over the past decade of Phractal preset design! There's Trey's MkIV tones under the switch labeled "Recto" -- if you want that spanky clean sound from the early 90s use that with the V30s cabinet and turn the compressor on. Glorious old school Trey clean tones. The Marshall from his very brief foray in JTM45 tones is there. And the Comet settings before he switched the Trainwreck are there too.

Because they're using Scene Ignore, if you change them, the change is present across all the scenes. It's a very cool feature and lets you pack a METRIC TON of alternative sounds into a preset like this.

I don't use the Rotary, live, so I moved it on a per-preset switch to this EFFECTS 2 layout as well. That's a block that might fall out of my main kitchen sink preset this fall.

As for the scenes....
  • Straight - Just the amp, nothing else. Start here?
  • Sustain - Two drives, compressor -- you just need a little volume and the patience to let that note ring out for 2 minutes and you're good
  • Bi-Phasic - Not modeled after anything specifically Trey, but I needed something swirly for a set and this is what I came up with. It's fun and a little trippy. Works well with that chase delay.
  • ebuT tsriF - Delay 2 is 100% wet, reversed, with a ~938 msec sample time. If you know Phish, you'll know what to do with this one. :)
  • Train - Octave down mixed in with the normal signal for that weird, synth, folk thing. Try the mu-tron block (WAH 2) with it for a sound I like to call "Elephunk".
  • Space - Yea. Yea. Yea. It's named after a Dead thing. It's for that oxy-jam feel.
  • GotF - A Ghosts of the Forest inspired sound. Get in. Get out.
  • Jedi Knight - You'll need a second expression pedal to really appreciate this one. The second expression pedal does two things here. It controls the tremolo speed so you can do that weird choppy thing Trey does. And it controls the pitch block so you can throw Jedi whale calls to the back of the bar. If you whale call, remember to turn off the tremolo block before you turn on the Pitch 1 block. If you use the hold-to-reveal function on switch 1 while in the EFFECTS 2 layout, the revealed switch settings are meant to work well with this scene.
If you got to here you probably just want the preset, eh?

Preset is here: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9836

And my FC-12 layout is attached to the post.

You'll want to be running firmware 20.04 or higher.

I've got an FM9 version waiting in the wings. I'm runing beta software on my FM9 right now so you'll have to wait for that to become available before I can post it.

Attachments

• iaresee-all-layouts_20220902_224522.fclayout
    93.3 KB · Views: 97
And he's running his Trainwreck MUCH dirtier than he was last year. His "clean" tones are mostly edgy these days with not much clean in them at all. The overdriven tones are chewy, wooly with lots of harmonics in them.
Just watched Night 2 from Dick's and I noticed that too... I think they're way better when he's got some bite like this, everybody was firing on all cylinders tonight!

Thanks for posting the preset!

Just watched Night 2 from Dick's and I noticed that too... I think they're way better when he's got some bite like this, everybody was firing on all cylinders tonight!

Thanks for posting the preset!
I fell asleep around an hour in. West coat shows are hard when you’re East coast.

I still miss clean tone Trey on some tracks. But it is what it is. The overdrive tones are fuzzy as hell now. Feels like he's ripping the air with them; like it's a big table saw cutting through spacetime.

Edit: on the replay now and holy hell that Chalkdust Torture was straight ripping fire last night. Fast and aggressive.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to be in the pit at Merriweather and it was awesome to hear the sound right from his cab on stage...or as much of it as you can hear being that close. It's really something in person.

I was lucky enough to be in the pit at Merriweather and it was awesome to hear the sound right from his cab on stage...or as much of it as you can hear being that close. It's really something in person.
Nice. I was back a bit, Page side, but still under the pavillion cover both nights. They were so good I did Maine as well and that was the best of the three nights for me.

Thank you for this! I'm very new to Fractal, just got my FM9, but this awesome. I just imported into my FM9 Turbo and as far as I can tell it imported all the blocks correctly, using about 80% CPU. Can't speak for the regular FM9 though.

Only thing I can't take a look at is the layout stuff, but the scenes sound great. I'm not Jedi-level enough yet with Fractal to figure out the layouts, still going through the Rosh tutorials to figure everything out. I also have 2 exp pedals that I have not figured out how to use/setup yet so looking forward to messing around with that.

Thank you for this! I'm very new to Fractal, just got my FM9, but this awesome. I just imported into my FM9 Turbo and as far as I can tell it imported all the blocks correctly, using about 80% CPU. Can't speak for the regular FM9 though.
That's unexpectedly awesome that the Turbo runs it all just fine!

You're probably missing a Pitch block though, right? The FM9 (even the Turbo) only supports one Pitch block and this uses 2. You're either missing the Whammy or the Octaver pitch block.

I usually have one Pitch block do multiple duty in the FM9 version of the preset.

The per-preset switch settings might also be funky as a result of the different block count in the FM9.

Hmmm...yeah it does seem like the octaver isn't there I think. I can try a deeper dive later but like I said my knowledge of Fractal, FM-Edit, etc, is limited at this point, since I literally just came over from Helix and am doing some tutorial videos to figure everything out. On the FM9 Turbo, the tone is great on a few of the scenes, and some don't seem to be working completely.

I also may just need to wait for the FM9 version and just see what I can add on the Turbo.

I know I am late to the party here, but just wanted to say thanks. Not only are the presets great to play on, looking at your layout and approach changed how I am looking at the FX3 for live use. I am starting to use the straight as a baseline and adding in effects on the fly as needed, all while knowing that your preset combos are there for me to hit when I want them. Really great stuff. Thanks again!

I know I am late to the party here, but just wanted to say thanks. Not only are the presets great to play on, looking at your layout and approach changed how I am looking at the FX3 for live use. I am starting to use the straight as a baseline and adding in effects on the fly as needed, all while knowing that your preset combos are there for me to hit when I want them. Really great stuff. Thanks again!
You’re not late. You got here right on time!

@iaresee Out of curiosity did you ever get an FM9 version going? I am currently in the middle of Cooper Carter's FM9 class since I'm a Fractal Newb. Once I get through it I can also take a stab at adapting your preset to the FM9 but might be a little while.

Sounds great! I see you slimmed it down a bit to just the Wrecker.

I’m also on a PRS HB (an SE HBII Piezo) so sounds terrific “out of the box.”

On my FM9 Turbo it runs around 65% FYI. So I actually have room to add back some stuff.

I noticed on all scenes, my EXP1 controls the Wah. Do you have it set somehow to control the Whammy?

Sounds great!
Thank you!
I see you slimmed it down a bit to just the Wrecker.
Kind of! The other amps are still there! As are some of the alternative CAB block combos I've used in this preset over the years. Just look at the other channels on the AMP and CAB blocks.

The Komet settings are AMP A, his old Mesa settings are AMP C and his brief foray into Marshall land is on AMP D. For pairings I'd go with:

They all sound great with CAB A. But try CAB B and see if you like a little far field in your IR mix? I've decided I do not.

For performing, I pretty much just live on the Wrecker and ride the volume knob.

This preset really does work best when you're playing loud! :D

I noticed on all scenes, my EXP1 controls the Wah. Do you have it set somehow to control the Whammy?
EXP1 is Wah. EXP2 should be Whammy but it might also be Trem speed on the Jedi scene. I can't recall. It might need some fixing up there. I don't use Jedi much so it may have experienced some configuration rot, sorry.

I’m also on a PRS HB (an SE HBII Piezo) so sounds terrific “out of the box.”
NICE!

Back
Top Bottom