Trey A - 4.2 (updated Sept 12th!)

hope I am not hijacking the thread
do you have any examples of Trey's Komet Silver Cloud amp?
thx

I have not been able to re-create the Silver Cloud in the AXEFX. The K60 with KT88 power tubes and some EQing gets close but they are really two different amps. The SC has significantly more headroom than the K60 and low end is massive. It is truly one of the best amps I've ever played.

While the AXEFX gets close, I have not been able to dial in the feel of Komets. However, I'm rarely ever able to play my Komets at the volume needed to get that feel and pretty much have to use an attenuator all the time. Given that, the K60 model in the AXEFX is pretty close and reacts the same way to changes in to the guitar's volume. I wish Cliff would model the Fast/Gradual switch; although, here is a thread somewhere that describes how to get close.

However, I'm rarely ever able to play my Komets at the volume needed to get that feel and pretty much have to use an attenuator all the time.
How loud was the 'Wreck rig in person? I have this non-substantiated guess that the Express doesn't need to be run nearly as loud as the K60s did and that's helping with Trey's consistency this tour when he's attacking notes. The volume delta between clean and dirty on the Komet rig seemed like a hard thing to mix and he'd fall out of the mix too often as he rode is volume knob.

How loud was the 'Wreck rig in person? I have this non-substantiated guess that the Express doesn't need to be run nearly as loud as the K60s did and that's helping with Trey's consistency this tour when he's attacking notes. The volume delta between clean and dirty on the Komet rig seemed like a hard thing to mix and he'd fall out of the mix too often as he rode is volume knob.

While we were close, I still think we were still getting a lot of the PA so it is hard to judge stage volume. In Arkansas, he had the volume about 9 o'clock; however at Deer Creek, it looked like the volume was at 9:30/10 o'clock. This makes sense given the types of clean tones he is getting. I know when Trey played on Fallon he used an attenuator. I have an Allyn Meyer Express clone and it is loud even at those settings. Once the volume is past 12/1 o'clock, the amp doesn't really get louder it just saturates more.

Oh and would you be able to export for AX8? Or even share more screen shots of your amp and cab settings so I can try dialing it in on AX8-edit? Some of us are still in the dark ages...much appreciated!

Oh and would you be able to export for AX8? Or even share more screen shots of your amp and cab settings so I can try dialing it in on AX8-edit? Some of us are still in the dark ages...much appreciated!
Open it up in Fractool and you'll be able to explore the preset, offline, and figure out what to do to make it work in your AX8.

I would love to hear some audio clips of this if you would be so kind to share. I have a Es-8 with pedalboard rig but am so curious to try Fx3 or one of the other modeling units after watching some demo videos of what you can do with them. I feel like the FC-12 would give you a ton of possibilities to replicate Treys control mechanisms

Thanks for this! Is this compatible with the FM3 at all? I try to import into FM3 Edit and it's telling me it cant since its formatted for the Axe FX3. Im a newbie, so likely doing something wrong hahaha....

I would love to hear some audio clips of this if you would be so kind to share. I have a Es-8 with pedalboard rig but am so curious to try Fx3 or one of the other modeling units after watching some demo videos of what you can do with them. I feel like the FC-12 would give you a ton of possibilities to replicate Treys control mechanisms
Maybe this weekend. Not really feeling like recording these days. Work is busy and sapping my creativity.

Clips!

This first clip runs through the touch sensitivity of the Express amp model. I didn’t touch my volume at all. I just picked harder and software. I throw on the “low gain” overdrive, then the “high gain” overdrive and then I stack both overdrives before returning to just the amp’s natural overdrive at the end of the clip.

https://mostlywrong.net/audio/2021-08-29-001-trey-a-46-days.mp3

Next clip shows off some straight-ahead rock tones and I flipped between the neck and the bridge pickup a few times. All the overdrive is straight from the AMP block – no drive pedal models were used in this one.

https://mostlywrong.net/audio/2021-08-29-002-trey-a-sample.mp3

I think there's still too much edge on my sounds, but after twisting knobs all around I think it's down to guitar/pickup differences here. And possibly some of the post production mixing that happens to their overall band mix.

And finally we have some volume knob changes to show you how the amp cleans up but the volume stays pretty consistent. The clip starts with the volume rolled back, then I roll it up, then I roll it back again.

https://mostlywrong.net/audio/2021-08-29-003-trey-a-lifeboy.mp3

Thanks for sharing!! Sounds pretty damn good - agree on the edginess. Do you have it set up as wet-only rig? Also what kind of guitar you running for your samples out of curiosity?
Delays, reverbs, rotary, flanger all run post-cabinet block -- so is that wet-dry? With Fractal tech you don't need to sweat the wet-dry-wet stuff.

I'm using a PRS Hollowbody Spruce with a SD '59 in the birdge and an SD Seth Lover in the neck. I'm tempted to put another Seth Lover in the bridge -- I find that pickup has less rasp on it.

You need some edge on the sound or you'll get lost in the mix. And it usually disappears in context. But we'll see this week when I play it out.

Thanks for sharing!! Sounds pretty damn good - agree on the edginess. Do you have it set up as wet-only rig? Also what kind of guitar you running for your samples out of curiosity?

I have been thinking about how to do this with the AXEFX. I got a Komet AmbiKab Jr last year and have been experimenting with a wet/dry setup with my tube rig. It definitely adds some depth to the tone.

@iaresee is correct that within the AXEFX, as long as you are only using one speaker to amplify the signal, it really doesn't matter, that much. In my experience, if you run your delays/reverbs through a separate cab block, you get some of that depth but it isn't as pronounced. I have been thinking about adding another speaker to my AXEFX rig for the wet signal. Trey ditched the AmbiKabs for this type of setup this tour.

I need to check with Komet to see if I can run a line signal into the AmbiKab Jr. The manual only talks about an amplified signal but I don't see why you couldn't.

Delays, reverbs, rotary, flanger all run post-cabinet block -- so is that wet-dry? With Fractal tech you don't need to sweat the wet-dry-wet stuff.

I'm using a PRS Hollowbody Spruce with a SD '59 in the birdge and an SD Seth Lover in the neck. I'm tempted to put another Seth Lover in the bridge -- I find that pickup has less rasp on it.

You need some edge on the sound or you'll get lost in the mix. And it usually disappears in context. But we'll see this week when I play it out.
Wet/Dry would be splitting your signal, having the "dry", generally gain only, going to one amp and "wet" (modulation / reverb / delay) going to a separate amp. Sounds like a purty guitar! Are you in the FB group Phish Guitar Heads? I'd highly recommend it - I think those guys would be all over posts like this :) This morning I am now salivating over the FM-9 -- thinking about the possibilities of that combined with an FC-12 give you so much control at your feet. Thanks again for sharing!!

Back
Top Bottom