TREMONTI

Brian Dixon

Inspired
I was browsing youtube and found a rig rundown with Mark Tremonti. I found it interesting that he said he doesn't use anything digital and he doesn't think modelers are as good as real amps. He was more or less dissing the kemper. He didn't specially mention his thoughts on the axe. He also made the comment that he will not use a wireless system because he think it degrades the quality. But he is on the artist list on fractal's website. What's the deal with that? Anyone know how he uses the axe. oh and this video shows a date in 2016 so it was after he was put on the artist page.

Frankly, I'm glad he's distancing himself from Fractal. He has a horrible ear for tone. I feel bad for the studio that has to try and mix his mushy, grainy, bass-heavy tones. I've seen them live and whenever Miles starts playing, you notice because his tone sounds great. When he stops, it's that mushy undefined crap coming from Tremonti.

Sorry for the rant. I've never liked this guy's tone. But I do like his other band "Tremonti". I thought Cauterize was a great album.

Last edited:
Damn.
Tremonti is a genius. Music ability aside his tone is born out of the 90s. It's your classic boogie thing. I will admit that live he doesn't sound too good if it's a tv broudcast. When your there it sounds great.
Also the later releases have a lot of layers going on and everything seem crowded in the same region. He also tunes stupidly low sometimes which doesn't help in the mix.

Anyway back to the original question.
He used the Axe fx to go front of house and it was mixed in with his amp signal.
These days he just takes a couple heads like a Bogner and a Boogie on tour and tends to leave the big rig at home. The problem
With that is he's doing all his clean sounds with the volume pot and well....yeah you try that with a boogie.

Mark seems like a guy that would require a full model done specifically for him to be happy.

In general I agree about his tone. Tends to be a bit muddy. AB still rocks live but he could use some help with his tone. I wonder if its mainly due to him have those cabs loaded with some 15" speakers.

he doesn't think modelers are as good as real amps.

and this bothers you why? Most folks would agree with his statement when it comes to pure amp tone & feel from a tube amp.......the thing is, modelers can be close enough for many & way more practical/convenient in many situations...

everyone has their taste and that's cool and I'm sure there are some great musicians that I hate that others like. Personally I think he is great. Even when he was with Creed his guitar tone was one of my favorites and inspired a lot of the sound I was going for at that time. I guess most of the pros still go with real analog gear though. I would like to think my fractal gear is truly capable of being that good though without any additional equipment other than a good guitar. Still learning new stuff about great tone all the time and it is truly subjective.

and this bothers you why? Most folks would agree with his statement when it comes to pure amp tone & feel from a tube amp.......the thing is, modelers can be close enough for many & way more practical/convenient in many situations...

didn't really say it bothered me. just being curious. not trying to start anything here.

Yeah Im not sure why this guy has ever gotten any kudos...Creed's Singer was the only unique thing the band ever had...

I would like to think my fractal gear is truly capable of being that good though without any additional equipment other than a good guitar.
It is.

Tremonti just has no idea how to achieve a good guitar tone. He's also admitted to being tied to physical gear and is technologically challenged.

don't ever let someone else's thoughts and opinions - regardless if they're a "star" or not - sway you from your own. just because someone like Tremonti doesn't like modeling doesn't mean that you shouldn't. i see this time and time again. "i just bought this Axe-Fx thing and i thought it sounded great, but my favorite guitarist doesn't use one, and now i think it doesn't sound great." what changed?!

Yes lets not bash Tremonti.
He's a genius. As time goes on we lose those spin chills as artists slide from their best and we hear things getting recycled over the years.
Tremonti is probably the only artist I genuinely lose my shit about when something new gets released.
To hear people still harping on about Creed is a bit depressing. Those days are loooooong gone. Since those days here in the UK at least Alter Bridge is on the verge of being a festival headlining act.
To be successful across various bands is quite something.

In a month or two Alter Bridge will be playing the Royal Albert Hall with an orchestra.
Can't wait!

don't ever let someone else's thoughts and opinions - regardless if they're a "star" or not - sway you from your own. just because someone like Tremonti doesn't like modeling doesn't mean that you shouldn't. i see this time and time again. "i just bought this Axe-Fx thing and i thought it sounded great, but my favorite guitarist doesn't use one, and now i think it doesn't sound great." what changed?!

Good Post Chris. On of my fav guitar players is (RIP) Jeff Golub (I know, many guys here will say WHO?). Guy could play anything. He used "whatever" amp happened to be at the gig (his own words in one interview), a rat pedal and reverb. He preferred Twins at one point. Sure he could have used whatever he wanted.
None of the guys that influenced me used modelers. As Chris states "So?",......

Im a sucker for a great modern-rock song. Alter Bridge does it about as good as anybody. Tremonti's tone is great for what they do.
That said, the more lessons he takes, and the more technique he gains....his solos get more stupid. Love his rhythm playing and writing tho.

I liked creed I don't get the country singing jab. I liked the riffs and hooks but he ain't no genius.

I liked creed I don't get the country singing jab.
He has that "yarl" to his voice that lends itself to country music (not this new generation of country music, so much).

My sister, who is a vocal coach, when she first heard Creed was the first person to point it out to me.

Back
Top Bottom