Tremolo springs a ringing

If you do something to it only do one thing and keep it as minimal as possible. A friend of mine bought a DGT used and brought it to me because it didn't ring out like mine does. I did a full setup on it to set it up to his preferences and strings. I found foam everywhere in that guitar. I told him that my guess is that whoever had it played really high gain tones and had feedback issues with it. I pulled all of the foam out of the pickup cavities and in the trem areas and the guitar came alive. You can choke the life out of it if you are not careful. The springs can definitely add to the tone and sustain of the guitar. If it bothers you I would suggest a light weight foam cut into sticks that just touch the inside of the spring when put in it.

One thing to remember is that the springs coils will expand when using the trem. If the foam gets into the coils it will not retract to the same exact spot and can affect the tuning.

One thing to remember is that the springs coils will expand when using the trem. If the foam gets into the coils it will not retract to the same exact spot and can affect the tuning.

I agree with this. That is why I mentioned to cut it so it just touches the inside of the springs. If you shove too much in there it definitely can get between the coils and not return in tune.

Back
Top Bottom