Tremolo / clock question

adam

Inspired
hi fractal folks,

long time ultra user (and obsessive), and now axe II lover (i'm actually having dreams about it!), here.

i'm not sure how to post this question, and i may need to post an example, but in the meantime:

there's a tune that i use the tremolo on; a square wave, dance vibe-thing. i don't have the patch set to 8th notes, but have the expression pedal modifier set at the correct time for 8th notes, so that i can use the pedal to speed up and do sputter-like effects here and there.

the problem i'm having is that the clock doesn't always start when i hit a note, so the basic effect gets off kilter. i've tried setting the patch to straight 8th's, and run into the same problem. we tried to do midi-clock to the drummers computer/click, but this also drifts. while doing our record (all axe and super trippy, which i hope to share at some point soon), i just played the parts and had to cut out the bits that went off time.

is there anything i'm missing? is there a work-around? is it possible to set it to where the clock starts when i hit a note? some way to sync?

thanks!!

again, the new II is rocking my world!

adam

You might have to build a tremolo by controlling some block's volume with one of the general LFOs. Then you can trigger an LFO restart to keep in sync, which could be done within the pedal's sweep or with a separate switch. Reverse the start & end values of the modifier because the square LFO starts at the low level (I'm guessing this is unchanged on the Axe II).

If it's like Axe 1 the workings of the actual square tremolo mode are less than ideal for synced things--even synced to LFO1 it starts at the lower level, and you can't vary duty while staying in time with everything else. For similar reasons the start & end values of a square LFO modifier need to be swapped to start in sync. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...ng-precisely-where-you-start-you-tremolo.html

even synced to LFO1 it starts at the lower level, and you can't vary duty while staying in time with everything else.

I asked Cliff about adding "Start Phase" (aka "Alignment") to the LFOs once. He liked the idea. I'll remind him. The laptop+live guys have clamored for this in the Axe-Fx.

that would be fantastic. i'm playing around with bakerman's suggestions (and the ideas in the thread that attached), and am still having difficulty getting it to start correctly every time.

also, is there a way to fine adjust the Hz parameters? for instance, i'm trying to set the rate at 3.833, but can only get 3.818 or 3.842.

thanks so much for the assistance.

I'd like to add a super strong vote for LFO (and all time based fx actually, if possible) sync to midi clock. That would seriously help things in my world in some applications!

I asked Cliff about adding "Start Phase" (aka "Alignment") to the LFOs once. He liked the idea. I'll remind him. The laptop+live guys have clamored for this in the Axe-Fx.
Yes !

...and we need some better/more modifier options to adjust the actual modifier curve, but I guess there are already enough topics around here asking for that.

yeah the problem with the trem (and i assume it's the same in the axe II) is that it doesn't have a "run" parameter. so you could do like bakerman suggests and make a trem using one of the lfo's and a volume block. you can then (if you want) attach the "run" parameter in the lfo to envelope. push up the "mid" parameter where you have it linked and then every time you hit a chord or note, it'll retrigger the lfo. i've done this a few times with rhythmic fx and it works well.

sim

update: so, i've tried all the suggestions (including those from the other thread). it still seems like i'm stuck to the preset clock, rather than being able to start the LFO manually. i'm not sure if i missed the point somewhere along the line, but using the envelope and even trying the adsr (assigned to the run parameter), i run into this. at first it seems like it works, but while i'm playing to a click, depending on where i start the preset, my results vary. if i turn the phase all the way to the other side, then i can sync back up, but this also seems to depend on where i started.

sorry to persist with this, but thought i'd throw it back out there (in hopes of a "Start Phase" option!). by the way, i was wrong in my initial post about using a square wave. i'm using a saw down (though i'd imagine this shouldn't make a difference).

also, is there a way to fine adjust things like rate? i want to adjust the rate to the equivalent of an 8th note setting, but using the rate knob instead (so i have freedom to speed up and slow down with a pedal). the rate knob seems to have settings that are below or above where i need it to be, and i can't figure out how to fine tune.

thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom