Trem block upgrades?

RDeraz

Experienced
specifically, are they worth it? Been looking around for a block upgrade for a IBZ3727 w/zps. only 2 companies I have found that make this in brass. Hatung(Turkey) and Killer Guitar Components(Gloucester, Mass.) Anyone have any experience with either of these companies?

I have upgraded the block on an original Floyd or two - swapped them out with large brass blocks - which actually required minor trem-cavity modification - though, you can find blocks which don't require those modifications, if "modification" isn't your thing..

In my own experience, adding a larger brass block really improved the the overall tone ... "warmer" ..more rounded.. "richer" .... to-me Immediately Noticeable. There is something to doing that kind of upgrade; though, I would guess, if you are a-chugga-chuggin' all night long, then the results might seem less impressive. Having said that, I seem to remember that that particular upgrade rounded off the harsher edges and added a richer smoothness to distorted presets..

Been a while since I have done that upgrade since you can buy after-market trem systems with brass blocks stock. Another reason I tend to like the Gotoh locking trems - they're all I install on new builds these days.

Killer Guitar Components - that's where I bought my blocks.. Been a while, but great customer service and communication it seems.. just searched my email archives, ...seems I bought those blocks in 2011 ... :0) ..chatted with Rick quite extensively-it looks like. Nice guy!

Have fun. Best of luck! :0)

there are a couple different heights iirc, make sure to get the correct one - I agree with mark they kinda warm up the sound. They also increase sustain. I have one in my favorite to play guitar.

Back
Top Bottom