Traveling with the FM9: A Caution.

Years ago, when traveling for business as a Macintosh developer with my MacBook, set up with the debugger, I arrived at the security gate and when prompted, opened my laptop which immediately crashed… into the debugger… which displayed a bomb with a burning fuse, and not thinking I said: "Crap, it's a bomb."

1665372279611.png

The LOOKS I GOT!

Years ago, when traveling for business as a Macintosh developer with my MacBook, set up with the debugger, I arrived at the security gate and when prompted, opened my laptop which immediately crashed… into the debugger… which displayed a bomb with a burning fuse, and not thinking I said: "Crap, it's a bomb."

View attachment 109583

The LOOKS I GOT!
Dude,
I want to be on your management team. You guys have too much fun.

In my line of work, BoM = Bill of Materials ...

Often when we're preparing quotes for customers, we work with suppliers to refine said BoM's.

Once (but only once!), when I was in an airport for a business trip, I was speaking to a supplier and said "just send me the latest BoM" - then I remembered where I was :rolleyes:

View attachment 109583

The LOOKS I GOT!
try something like that today and you're more likely going to wake up in Guantanamo Bay 🙄

I've been carrying on my Pelican for the last few years, with an Ax8, FM3, and now the FM9. I have TSA Pre Check, so security is mostly a breeze. Except when there was a problem with my ticket having been re-booked and my ID wasn't registering me as having Pre Check despite it being right there on my boarding pass, so I got shoved over to the regular security line. They had those stupid new bins you put your stuff in that run through the X-ray like an assembly line. My Pelican barely fit in one, then I had to unload my laptop into another and my backpack into a third. Then they had to run the Pelican through AGAIN with the FM9 in its own bin "to get a better look". It sure looked lovely in that bin coming down the conveyor but I was afraid of someone grabbing it and running off with it! :D

The TSA guy and the Sikh fellow that pushed my fiancée's wheelchair (I had two carryons and the dog carrier) were the only two people at PHL last week who weren't raging assholes....

The TSA guy and the Sikh fellow that pushed my fiancée's wheelchair (I had two carryons and the dog carrier) were the only two people at PHL last week who weren't raging assholes....
I can relate. We spent weeks in Europe and the bad experiences started once we landed at JFK on the way home where they were rude and felt it was appropriate to work out on us, my girlfriend is also in a wheelchair, eventually leading to someone in TSA stealing my North Face down vest.

I can relate. We spent weeks in Europe and the bad experiences started once we landed at JFK on the way home where they were rude and felt it was appropriate to work out on us, my girlfriend is also in a wheelchair, eventually leading to someone in TSA stealing my North Face down vest.
We are filing a grievance.... Might not go anywhere, since corporations own our government, but at least it's on record. Never flying American Airlines ever again. If the only other way to get there is walking barefoot on Legos and broken glass swimming in ghost pepper purée, that will be my choice....

Last edited:
We are filing a grievance.... Might not go anywhere, since corporations own our government, but at least it's on record. Never flying American Airlines ever again. If the only other way to get there is walking barefoot on Legos and broken glass swimming in ghost pepper purée, that will be my choice....
Joe,

Many people are just more aggressive these days and they're just taking their aggressions out on others because they don't care who is on the receiving end. The cause of the aggression is usually stress. People who are more stressed typically act out. My thought process is: Remember when you had a bad day, and how you reacted when someone showed you kindness. Yup, even a little can go a long way. From a guy who works a high-stress public service job but has learned how to cope with it...

Something I've learned is if you can build someone up (encourage rather than discourage), both you and them will feel much better than how you might feel if you chose the opposite route. Good vibes feed each other. Bad vibes are when your hands hurt from writing too much.

One additional alternative for your concern is the fitness center, where you go to get stronger, instead of weaker...

Lastly, from my wisdom bank, many times, people are like sheep without a shepherd. They need help and guidance.

I recall the time I called a radio talk show asking for advice regards what "DNS server error" meant.
One of the two hosts said: "Have you checked your purse?"
Although they meant it as a joke, it was a veiled insult.
I said, "Thanks, I'll do that," and hung up.
I shook my head and wondered what this world was coming to. FTR, I'm not married.

Last edited:
About 1998, on the way to a gig in Switzerland, I told an airport security agent to not open my bag because it was "over-packed with cables and guitar boxes and stuff would explode everywhere."

This did not make for a pleasant subsequent 15 minutes, and my wife was most displeased.

About 1998, on the way to a gig in Switzerland, I told an airport security agent to not open my bag because it was "over-packed with cables and guitar boxes and stuff would explode everywhere."

This did not make for a pleasant subsequent 15 minutes, and my wife was most displeased.
In this instance, what we say might be more important than how we say it. The remainder of the trip went OK?

I'm sure glad I don't have to board a plane for my job anymore, because I'd have no choice but to quit. There are indignities that I will not put up with for a paycheck, and the dealing with the TSA is one of them.

I used to love flying all over to do consulting work.

I'm sure glad I don't have to board a plane for my job anymore, because I'd have no choice but to quit. There are indignities that I will not put up with for a paycheck, and the dealing with the TSA is one of them.

I used to love flying all over to do consulting work.
My brother was the same way. Met people from businesses in various countries doing FDA work. I'm just somewhat shy about flying, having done so only a handful of times. Maybe it's the job stress that makes people rude and cranky.

Don't forget that some customers contribute to the TSA's crankiness. From personal knowledge, I know that several demanding or rude customers in succession can turn your day sour. Just like when it rains on your vacation. Would you be cranky, or say you got a rain tan?

When your carry on gets flagged by the TSA, and they say “what the heck is this thing” Make sure not to say “dude… it’s the bomb!” 🤣😎

Just a friendly word of advice. Stay safe out there!
Which case is that. I am stil looking for something for when I fly to Brazil soon.

Joe,

Many people are just more aggressive these days and they're just taking their aggressions out on others because they don't care who is on the receiving end. The cause of the aggression is usually stress. People who are more stressed typically act out.

TBH, I don't care if someone took a steaming dump in his Cheerios, put out their cigar on his grandmother's forehead, and kicked his cat before I arrived at his customer service counter, there is no, zero, zilch, nada excuse for taking out his frustration on a disabled woman asking for the wheelchair assistance we specifically arranged for weeks prior and forcing her to wait for it, while standing at the counter being discriminated against (ADA/508 lawsuits are particularly nasty for the violator), treating her like dog crap, and purposely leaving her name off the ticket so TSA can cause further upset after we leave his area. That, along with UDAAP violation: "it's on our website" is not sufficient - anything materially affecting the customer negatively financially is, by law, required to be easily seen without scrolling down twelve screens and digging through small print.

Zero excuse for the guy's behavior. I want his head in a fucking jar of mineral oil on my mantle, along with those of the four cackling hens behind the counter that he was showing off for, who stood there loudly talking, sometimes about what we were doing, sometimes about other utter BS, but always within earshot so they could invade our privacy and make sniping comments about the proceedings....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom