Travel solution advice needed...

guitarjim

Experienced
I like to take a guitar with me on vacations and business trips, but adding an amp, even a lunchbox, is too much for many airplane trips. If I drive, my Axe comes with me, so there's no issue.

My need is only to have a good tone and to be able to play along with MP3s. If it doesn't have good tone, I tend not to be motivated to play as much.

At my disposal, I have a Windows 8 laptop, an iPad, and an Android phone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey Guitar Jim, don't know if this may fit the bill but Tech21 Sans Amp Fly Rig 5 looks pretty cool...fits in your guitar case and has some great tones.
Check the video here...
TECH 21 - FLYRIG5

I'd go the Bias/JamUp route....seems like a no brainer. Get the Apogee interface, though...in my experience the iRig is barely usable.

I carry a Line6 SonicPort as my "practicing in the hotel room" rig. It's been good for that purpose. I don't think I'd use it onstage except as a last resort, but it's serviceable as a practice tool.

Apogee JAM and just use the iPad. Run BIAS and Jamup: Positive Grid

I'd go the Bias/JamUp route....seems like a no brainer. Get the Apogee interface, though...in my experience the iRig is barely usable.

These
thumbsup.gif

I prefer the Line 6 Pocket Pod for situations as theses. It's got great tones, 1/8th" jack for connecting to any mp3, laptop, ipad, ipod, iphone whatever. Tuner, etc. You can even edit the patches via an editor on your laptop or whatever via mini usb port. NOTE: Don't get the PocketPod Express, get the one with the LED display. Can't go wrong.
line-6-pocket-pod-256039.jpg

I keep a Korg Pandora PX5D in my guitar case for practice while traveling.

That said, with the electronics you've already got I'd snag an Apogee or L6 interface and use the iPad + Bias/JamUp.

In hotel room I use an iPad with iRig (the HD version) but I'm beginning to consider buying the new Tech21 Fly Rig 5 as a backup and portable solutions

Boss MicroBR BR80.

This is the 2nd generation of this thing, but IMO is the perfect travel companion, fits in your guitar case, runs on batteries and in addition to practicing, you can do mutitrack recordings, it has built in stereo condenser mics.

-Three modes: MTR (multi-track recorder), eBand, and Live Rec
-Records directly to SD/SDHC memory card (up to 32 GB)
-High-quality stereo condenser microphone built in for instant audio capture
-64 V-Tracks and eight simultaneous playback tracks
-eBand function for phrase training and play-along tracks
-Huge library of built-in backing and rhythm patterns
-World-class COSM® amps and effects onboard (same COSM that's in all Boss products)
-Use as a USB audio interface with built-in effects
-SONAR X1 LE software included

It's Boss though so it sounds like Boss stuff, but IMO you can dial in a good enough tone for practicing and laying down scratch tracks before they are forgotten.

I just got a Yamaha THR10 and love it. The 5 is much smaller and they both have an aux input so you can play along with mp3's. Bias and Jamup are nice also. Computer version of Jamup is supposed to be out this month also, I'm not sure if it's only a plug-in or will be stand alone too?

Back
Top Bottom