Travel guitar recommendations?

I have a Traveler Speedster. It does the job but tuning stability sucks. The upside is it's small. I typically get a window seat and kind or obscure it with my carry on bags. Then put it under the seat to the side. Flight attendants haven't cared. A couple of times gate agents have given me a little grief.

My next travel electric will either be a Steinberger (hoping to wedge it under the window seat like the Traveler) or a Journey Instruments Overhead Electric. The Journey electric goes in a bag that fits in the overhead compartment. I have a Journey folding classical which is pretty decent for a travel classical. The Ciari looks nice but that's way out of my price range at $1799 USD. The Journey is $499 USD.

While I haven't played the Journey electric, if it's similar quality to the classical it should be decent. The only caveat is the bag that came w/the classical is showing wear and I haven't taken on many trips.

https://journeyinstruments.com/product/overhead-electric-cherryburst-travel-guitar-oe990cb/

Is the Steinberger comfortable to play on your lap (I've never played a small-body guitar like that)? The Journey electric seems appealing for its "normal" sized-body, and for the fact that its bag will also carry other things, so I could still get away with 2 carry-on bags, and have my laptop, clothes, etc. I imagine with the Steinberger (or similar) it would be a third bag, forcing me to check luggage (which I despise).

Yes, it's alright. I take it with me onboard, only a little larger than hand bagage, hasn't been a problem yet.

Kiesel headless. I also had one with screw neck and put it in a suitcase with the neck off, really compact like that. But you can do pretty much the same with a Strat. I like locking tuners for that so that the strings don't unravel while in the suitcase.

I don't really travel, but have steinberger spirit. good basic guitar. mine needed fret level and i also put in new pickups.
It's very comfortable and balanced to hold and play.
Haven't handled one, but the new donner hush x looks interesting.

I have a standard Steinberger Synapse without that bizarre multi scale capo thing. It's great for travelling, the neck never shifts due to temperature or humidity. It actually sounds very good.

One more vote for Steinberger Spirit. Great guitar.
I traveled with it once. However, I looked through the TravelUP reviews beforehand and found out all the details. Also, it is important to check airline guidelines for musical instrument transportation.

Last edited:
I use a Ciari Ascender Standard. Folds and fits underneath a plane seat. Note: I am a brand ambassador so take that as you will.

But imho it's the best travel guitar out there if you fly.

Here's a video I made on a recent fly date in Raleigh

That guitar is intriguing.

@RoshRoslin , do you know how the coil split pickups on the Standard+ model sound? Any good?
Any particular reason for not including a model with single coils?

That guitar is intriguing.

@RoshRoslin , do you know how the coil split pickups on the Standard+ model sound? Any good?
Any particular reason for not including a model with single coils?

I'm not really sure, but the pickups are definitely more PAF style pickups which means they're lower output. I think split coils on lower output pickups generally sound terrible because the output is so low once you split in half. You could feasibly wire them in parallel to get them to sound a little more "single coil" when in the middle position.

You could replace the pickups with something hotter so that the split sounds more like a real single coil. The guitars fit standard spec pickups

Reactions: yek
I have a Steinberger Synapse SS2F. It has a pullout bar on the bottom for lap playing. I usually just use a strap and set on end of a couch. I can't speak for the Sprit as far as a pullout bar.

Back
Top Bottom