Transition from standing back to sitting -- harder to play.

dsouza

Experienced
Ever since I broke my right leg in Feb / 2024 I had to at least temporarily give up standing up and playing.

Quite frankly, aside from the wear and tear to your back, neck, knees, and feet I find standing up easier than sitting to play the guitar.

When I switched to sitting down due to my injury I found it harder to make the transition. Sure I could see the strings easier which is an advantage sometimes but the awkward angle of my fingers and wrists to the guitar made it harder to ring out some notes , especially from chords clearly. It was like suddenly, sitting down they became muffled.

Has anyone experienced this during a standing to sitting transition , especially after many years playing only standing? How did you resolve it. It's not really practice , it's wrist angle. It has to do with physiology.

Of course this is subjective, but in my opinion you should "replicate" the standing position while sitting.
Same strap length and same angles... (guitar in the center and not relying only on one leg) assuming your standing position was "right".
You should not look at the fretboard (to avoid back pain) or at least not for too long, relax your shoulders, avoid strong wrist angles, avoid tensions and use a regular breathe

There are several ways players accomplish this: using a block to elevate the resting leg, a sort of molded pillow to make the guitar central to your body, using a higher seat position to be able to hold the guitar without resting on the legs, using a more ergonomic guitar... etc.

I just remembered there was a useful video from the mighty @2112

I agree with trying to have the sitting and standing playing position as close as possible. I always tell my guitar student to adjust their strap so that the guitar will be at the same height in either position.

I even use either a Dynarette guitar cushion or a Performaxe guitar support when sitting to get the angle and hight just right.

Try (headless) guitars with a cut for the right leg so the guitar is standing on your hip "classical"-style. Abasi, Aristides headless, Strandberg, maybe Eart headless just to try this for $300 or so.
Not Kiesel though, they are headless but "normal" bodyshape. You goal is to sit like this
VUszsTJWNwbSk2jf3a6VK7.jpg

But not that bent - it's actually incorrect posture with the right guitar. Sitting like this is your goal
maxresdefault.jpg

This translates directly between standing and sitting - of course, if you held the guitar quite high, and not Flea-style. I have no advise if you played like Slash, keeping it low :) If not, this is as close as having the same body and hands positions same while standing or sitting as possible.

It's also always a good idea of removing the weight on the guitar from your back and putting it on your leg instead. So if you must using your normal guitars, a stand or a special pillow is your best bet. Does the same as headless, basically, just less comfortably.
61Wo0unLSlL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I always stood when playing electric guitar. Recently a foot issue has prevented that and I've been struggling with back and shoulder issues due to it. The only thing that remotely helps is sitting so high that my legs just barely touch the floor and the guitar hangs mostly free on the strap. I'm basically trying to recreate my standing posture while offloading my foot.
It's workable.

Stand 95% of the time but at 72 that may change soon. When I sit, I sit on a padded stool. My left leg is flat on the floor and I elevate my right leg on a small toolbox, thigh level with the floor. I find this most comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom