Transformer match

lastcaress83

Inspired
This is an absolutely amazing control. After struggling to get my axe fx iii to sound more like my real amps through my cab (primarily Brit 800 vs 2203x) this control has been a huge help in getting that open, tight sound I’ve been missing. Also, with the amps that feel congested in the mids for me compared to what I expect, the Deizels, the IIC+, JP2C, etc… this control works wonders.

i’m sure 99% of users know this but I had to read a 7 year old post to find it so I thought I’d throw it back out there.

This is an absolutely amazing control. After struggling to get my axe fx iii to sound more like my real amps through my cab (primarily Brit 800 vs 2203x) this control has been a huge help in getting that open, tight sound I’ve been missing. Also, with the amps that feel congested in the mids for me compared to what I expect, the Deizels, the IIC+, JP2C, etc… this control works wonders.

i’m sure 99% of users know this but I had to read a 7 year old post to find it so I thought I’d throw it back out there.
How are you setting it, both actual numbers, and your process for arriving at them?
Do you end up happy with similar values for different amps?

Yeah, I've used that for years. If I remember correctly, going below 1 simulates a bigger transformer. So it doesn't saturate too early.

I've run all my presets at .8 to .9 for a long time. Going above 1 it seems to get a bit hazy and compresses more.

So yeah, crank the knob back and forth and find your own sweet spot.

I was mostly going off ear and feel. I read an old tech notes post where Cliff advises staying within a roughly 20% range to keep from getting too harsh so I’ve been trying to mostly stay between 0.8 and 1 to get a more open and raw sound. It’s a VERY powerful control so that small range is still plenty of variety. Also in tech notes, Cliff describes modern Marshall transformers being emulated by a setting of 0.9 so I picked that for the 2203x. For the Diezel (energyball) and Mark amps I was cranking last night I just used my ear. That Diezel was mind blowing once I nailed what I wanted. I chugga chugga’d for like an hour last night LOUD through my 1960a.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom